From: David Engster <deng@randomsample.de>
To: ding@gnus.org
Subject: Re: multipart part does not have valid content-type
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 2010 07:59:50 +0200	[thread overview]

[stripped debian-bugs from CC]

Katsumi Yamaoka writes:
> jidanni@jidanni.org wrote:
>
>> Dear Gnus team, I sent http://jidanni.org/test/591094.mbox.txt using
>> gnus-version "Gnus v5.13" with http://jidanni.org/comp/configuration/ and
>> then regarding http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=591094
>
> DA> Your MUA is sending a multipart message with a part that doesn't have
> DA> a valid content-type; because the only content-type that is specified
> DA> is an image, and there isn't text content, one of our rules finds it
> DA> and discards it. [Various viruses do this, and we procmail them out
> DA> specifically.]
>
> DA> Please fix your MUA to set a Content-Type on all parts of a multipart
> DA> message. [While this is not strictly required by the RFC 1521, there's
> DA> no reason not to have one, and almost all MUAs have them.]
>
> (setq mml-insert-mime-headers-always t)
>
> and you will be able to verify that the Content-Type header is
> inserted in each text/plain part by typing `C-u C-c C-m P' before
> sending a multipart message to such a brain-damaged MUA.

I would vote for making this the default. I agree that it should be
unnecessary; RFC 1521 does not "not strictly" require it for text/plain,
it simply does not require it ("If no Content-Type is specified, this
default is assumed.", with the default being text/plain,us-ascii). I
find it strange that debian-bugs actually filters messages based on such
very general notions.

-David