* nnimap agent caching
@ 2008-07-03 19:21 Steinar Bang
From: Steinar Bang @ 2008-07-03 19:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

I thought the behaviour of an agentized nnimap group, was to download an
article into the agent cache once it was read?  At least I seem to have
a vague memory that it was this way, at some point.

However, it's not that way for me now.  I have to explicitly download
the articles for an nnimap group, to be able to read them them while
offline.

Is there a setting to cache articles into the agent when reading them
online?

Thanx!

- Steinar

* Re: nnimap agent caching
@ 2008-07-03 19:27 ` Steinar Bang
From: Steinar Bang @ 2008-07-03 19:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> I thought the behaviour of an agentized nnimap group, was to download an
> article into the agent cache once it was read?  At least I seem to have
> a vague memory that it was this way, at some point.

> However, it's not that way for me now.  I have to explicitly download
> the articles for an nnimap group, to be able to read them them while
> offline.

> Is there a setting to cache articles into the agent when reading them
> online?

There is gnus-agent-cache, but that one is already t (which is the
default).

* Re: nnimap agent caching
@ 2008-07-04  2:33 ` William Xu
From: William Xu @ 2008-07-04  2:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

[Wish i'm not reposting, having some tough time with gnus agent...  ]

,----[ (info "(gnus)Agent Caveats") ]
`----

--
William

http://williamxu.net9.org

<joeyh> oh my, it's a UP P III.
<doogie> dos it.
* joeyh runs dselect
<Overfiend> that ought to be sufficient :)

* Re: nnimap agent caching
@ 2008-07-09 19:54   ` Steinar Bang
From: Steinar Bang @ 2008-07-09 19:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

>> Is there a setting to cache articles into the agent when reading them
>> online?

>>>  ,----[ (info "(gnus)Agent Caveats") ]
>>>  `----

Thanx!  Exactly what I was looking for!

Er... nobody will probably believe it, but I've searched the
Gnus manual for exactly this information.  I've used `i' and `s'.

What I've _not_ done is, of course, to read the manual linearily.

I almost never do that.  I'm too impatient, I'm afraid.

* Re: nnimap agent caching
@ 2008-07-10 12:25     ` Rupert Swarbrick
From: Rupert Swarbrick @ 2008-07-10 12:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> Thanx!  Exactly what I was looking for!
>
> Er... nobody will probably believe it, but I've searched the
> Gnus manual for exactly this information.  I've used `i' and `s'.
>
> What I've _not_ done is, of course, to read the manual linearily.
>
> I almost never do that.  I'm too impatient, I'm afraid.

I'm not a gnus developer, but it would be great if you could post some
of what you tried searching for with 's' when you didn't find the
relevant information. It seems to me that if there is some "keyword"
that one naturally thinks of when after a feature, it is useful if it
appears in the documentation near the description of that feature.
Whether or not it's the "correct terminology" as used in the project.

Given the somewhat high technological "barrier to entry" for gnus use,
I suspect that most gnus users are used to skimming manuals. Thus I
suspect that there aren't many users who actually read the manual
through and through until after they've used gnus for some time.

These users are worth pleasing I think if there relevant buzzwords
that can be incorporated in a sensible manner into the manual near the
right location.

That said, I really, like really, like the style of the manual - I
really did grin/laugh quite a few times when I first went through it.
That's something we should be careful not to lose.

Rupert

PS Yeah, I know the mua's gmail. I'm at work.

* Re: nnimap agent caching
@ 2008-07-10 16:47       ` Steinar Bang
From: Steinar Bang @ 2008-07-10 16:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> I'm not a gnus developer, but it would be great if you could post some
> of what you tried searching for with 's' when you didn't find the
> relevant information.

I would, if I could remember.

I think mostly I was barking up the wrong variable.  Ie. gnus-agent-cache.

Then I was searching for stuff related with cache, to see if any of it
mentioned agent (yes, I know those are two different entities, but I was
looking for "using agent as a cache" or somesuch).