From: Juri Linkov <juri@jurta.org>
To: ding@gnus.org
Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
Subject: Re: doc-view and mailcap
Date: Wed, 05 Dec 2007 00:45:33 +0200	[thread overview]

>>> To be able to display an attached pdf file inline in the Article
>>> buffer, you need to add a new application/pdf handler to
>>> `mm-inline-media-tests'.
>>
>> I don't think inlining the pdf in the article buffer is a good idea.  We
>> would have to fight with navigation and other stuff that makes me feel
>> it's not worth the trouble.  Why not open a new doc-view buffer instead?
>
> PDF, PostScript and DVI files are usually A4 (or letter) paper sized
> documents.  Displaying them in the article buffer doesn't seem useful
> to me.  My personal preference would be a new Emacs frame.

Large images get attached to the messages already, and Gnus displays them
inline just fine.  I think when the disposition type is `inline' we should
try to display it inline in the same article buffer if possible.  Otherwise,
it would be ok to display then in another buffer/frame like Gnus does when
it calls an external program to display an attachment.

> BTW, I have committed the reduction of dependencies in mailcap.el and
> gnus-dired.el in Gnus.

Thanks.  Could you also look at the problem of moving mailcap.el and its
related files out of Gnus?  It seems an appropriate directory for them is
`lisp/mail' or `lisp/net'.  Do you see a better directory?

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/