* Re: doc-view and mailcap
       [not found]                                       ` <87sl2ierzl.fsf@member.fsf.org>
@ 2007-12-04 18:22                                         ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2007-12-04 18:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding, emacs-devel

[ Adding ding.

  PDF/Postscript/DVI attachments inline in Gnus. ]

On Tue, Dec 04 2007, Tassilo Horn wrote:

>>> Not yet.  Feel free to add.
>>
>> To be able to display an attached pdf file inline in the Article
>> buffer, you need to add a new application/pdf handler to
>> `mm-inline-media-tests'.
>
> I don't think inlining the pdf in the article buffer is a good idea.  We
> would have to fight with navigation and other stuff that makes me feel
> it's not worth the trouble.  Why not open a new doc-view buffer instead?

PDF, PostScript and DVI files are usually A4 (or letter) paper sized
documents.  Displaying them in the article buffer doesn't seem useful
to me.  My personal preference would be a new Emacs frame.

BTW, I have committed the reduction of dependencies in mailcap.el and
gnus-dired.el in Gnus.

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)

* Re: doc-view and mailcap
@ 2007-12-04 22:45                                           ` Juri Linkov
       [not found]                                             ` <87bq95mp2b.fsf@member.fsf.org>
From: Juri Linkov @ 2007-12-04 22:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding; +Cc: emacs-devel

>>> To be able to display an attached pdf file inline in the Article
>>> buffer, you need to add a new application/pdf handler to
>>> `mm-inline-media-tests'.
>>
>> I don't think inlining the pdf in the article buffer is a good idea.  We
>> would have to fight with navigation and other stuff that makes me feel
>> it's not worth the trouble.  Why not open a new doc-view buffer instead?
>
> PDF, PostScript and DVI files are usually A4 (or letter) paper sized
> documents.  Displaying them in the article buffer doesn't seem useful
> to me.  My personal preference would be a new Emacs frame.

Large images get attached to the messages already, and Gnus displays them
inline just fine.  I think when the disposition type is `inline' we should
try to display it inline in the same article buffer if possible.  Otherwise,
it would be ok to display then in another buffer/frame like Gnus does when
it calls an external program to display an attachment.

> BTW, I have committed the reduction of dependencies in mailcap.el and
> gnus-dired.el in Gnus.

Thanks.  Could you also look at the problem of moving mailcap.el and its
related files out of Gnus?  It seems an appropriate directory for them is
`lisp/mail' or `lisp/net'.  Do you see a better directory?

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/

* Re: doc-view and mailcap
       [not found]                                             ` <87bq95mp2b.fsf@member.fsf.org>
@ 2007-12-05 20:02                                               ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2007-12-05 20:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding, emacs-devel

[ Adding ding again.  Tassilo, please don't strip ding as long as
  this thread is closely related to Gnus.  Thanks. ]

On Wed, Dec 05 2007, Tassilo Horn wrote:

> Juri Linkov <juri@jurta.org> writes:
>>> PDF, PostScript and DVI files are usually A4 (or letter) paper sized
>>> documents.  Displaying them in the article buffer doesn't seem useful
>>> to me.  My personal preference would be a new Emacs frame.
>>
>> Large images get attached to the messages already, and Gnus displays
>> them inline just fine.

At least by default it doesn't display them inline, see
`mm-inline-large-images'.  I toggled it and tried to view a wide image
(the frame is 80 chars wide).  I couldn't figure out how to view the
right hand side part of the image conveniently.  The best I could
think of was `scroll-left'.  (I used `i image' in the Emacs manual.)

> But the difference is that the images are just there and can be
> displayed immediately whereas pdfs and such have to be converted first.

Good point.

> I don't think it would be good to unconditionally start a conversion run
> if a document is attached with disposition type `inline'.

I don't think any MUA in the wild sends PDFs as disposition=inline (of
course you can do with Gnus).

> And if the user has to type a key first to start the conversion and
> inline the images I cannot see a big benefit.
>
>> I think when the disposition type is `inline' we should try to display
>> it inline in the same article buffer if possible.
>
> I think it wouldn't be hard to add a function to doc-view that inserts
> the images into the current buffer, but we'd loose (or have to
> re-implement) all those nice features like searching or image-scrolling.

I'd suggest to implement viewing in an extra buffer first.  I think
it's not worth the trouble to implement inline display in the article
buffer.  But if someone wants to do it...

>> Could you also look at the problem of moving mailcap.el and its
>> related files out of Gnus?

Which are the related files?  (mailcap.el doesn't require any other
packages after my changes.)

>> It seems an appropriate directory for them is `lisp/mail' or
>> `lisp/net'.  Do you see a better directory?

I don't have a strong opinion on this.

[ IIRC, Miles should be back soon, so hopefully the change are synced
  within a couple of days. ]

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)

* Re: doc-view and mailcap
@ 2007-12-05 22:45                                                 ` Juri Linkov
From: Juri Linkov @ 2007-12-05 22:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding; +Cc: emacs-devel

>>> Could you also look at the problem of moving mailcap.el and its
>>> related files out of Gnus?
>
> Which are the related files?  (mailcap.el doesn't require any other
> packages after my changes.)

I thought mm-*.el files might be useful outside Gnus, mainly for other mail
programs.  But if they are now used only by Gnus there is no sense to move
them out of the gnus directory now.

So if there is only one file mailcap.el under question, maybe a suitable
place for it is the top lisp directory `emacs/lisp'?

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/