From: Steinar Bang <sb@dod.no>
Subject: The displaying of ISO-8859-15
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2006 11:32:40 +0100	[thread overview]

Platform: Intel Pentium M, Ubuntu Dapper,
	  emacs21 21.4a-3ubuntu2,
	  No Gnus v0.6 (CVS update from May 1 2006)

The good people at Opera has at one point in time made the bad
decision of promoting ISO-8859-15 as the default charset in email and
news messages sent from the Opera browser (at least when running in a
Western European locale).

One annoying thing is that if this setting is changed to
eg. ISO-8859-1, the setting isn't preserved when Opera is upgraded.
And experience has shown that admonishing Opera users to change their
charset setting, can be tiring on both the admonisher and the
admonished...

So I figured out how to make Gnus cast replies and followups to
8859-15 messages into 8859-1 when responding, and was satisfied with
that.

The main reason (apart from the purely aestethical dislike of
iso-8859-15 as a concept) for being annoyed with ISO-8859-15, is that
Gnus on my platform (see above) picked a bug-ugly font for those
characters.  I've filed that under "probably caused by the fonts
installed on my platform, and not something I'd spend time on".

But today I did `C-u g' in the summary buffer to see the headers of an
ISO-8859-15 message.  And down in the message body, the ISO-8859-15
characters were shown in the same font as the surrounding US-ASCII.
Ie. the same font ISO-8859-1 characters would have been shown in.

It then dawned on me that configuring the display of ISO-8859-15 in
messages is possibly something that Gnus can do.  Eg. decide to
display it like ISO-8859-1 or something (who needs that silly Euro
char anyways...?).

Does anyone know?

Thanx!

- Steinar