@ 2006-04-21 18:18 Bill Wohler
From: Bill Wohler @ 2006-04-21 18:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

I love being able to read RSS feeds in Gnus. I hate having to wait for
all of them to load. Is there a way to run `g' in the background,
maybe periodically?

I've set the priority of my RSS feeds to 4, so I can use `C-u 3 g' to
quickly get my Gmane news. Later, when I get up for a cup of coffee, I
use a naked `g' to get everything.

* Re: Loading RSS in background
@ 2006-04-22  0:27 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2006-04-22  0:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

Bill Wohler <wohler@newt.com> writes:

> I love being able to read RSS feeds in Gnus. I hate having to wait for
> all of them to load. Is there a way to run `g' in the background,
> maybe periodically?

One way might be to have the nnrss groups agentized, and run an Gnus
Agent fetcher process in a screen/cron job.  It might be somewhat
brittle, though -- I haven't tried this myself with nnrss groups.

* Re: Loading RSS in background
@ 2006-04-23 16:09   ` Bill Wohler
From: Bill Wohler @ 2006-04-23 16:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Bill Wohler <wohler@newt.com> writes:
>
>> I love being able to read RSS feeds in Gnus. I hate having to wait for
>> all of them to load. Is there a way to run `g' in the background,
>> maybe periodically?
>
> One way might be to have the nnrss groups agentized, and run an Gnus
> Agent fetcher process in a screen/cron job.  It might be somewhat
> brittle, though -- I haven't tried this myself with nnrss groups.

Thanks. Has anyone done anything like this and would like to post a
short HOWTO? In the meantime, I'll read up on the Gnus agent stuff.

* Re: Loading RSS in background
@ 2006-04-25  8:40 ` Romain Francoise
       [not found]   ` <87lktu3v67.fsf-IsQDJjM1JjRXoDg+oFsoX0EOCMrvLtNR@public.gmane.org>
From: Romain Francoise @ 2006-04-25  8:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

Bill Wohler <wohler@newt.com> writes:

> I love being able to read RSS feeds in Gnus. I hate having to wait for
> all of them to load.

Your best bet is to use the "external fetching" solution: just set
`nnrss-use-local' to t, and use `nnrss-generate-download-script' to
generate a shell script that fetches all your feeds with wget.  Then run
that from cron.

> I've set the priority of my RSS feeds to 4, so I can use `C-u 3 g' to
> quickly get my Gmane news.

You don't need `C-u' there.  In Gnus, numbers always behave as numerical
arguments.

--
Romain Francoise <romain@orebokech.com> | The sea! the sea! the open
it's a miracle -- http://orebokech.com/ | sea! The blue, the fresh, the

@ 2006-04-25 18:56     ` Jochen Küpper
From: Jochen Küpper @ 2006-04-25 18:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

Romain Francoise <romain-RzTib+Llhte1Z/+hSey0Gg@public.gmane.org> writes:

> Bill Wohler <wohler-bkaQNjxBehk@public.gmane.org> writes:
>
>> I love being able to read RSS feeds in Gnus. I hate having to wait for
>> all of them to load.
>
> Your best bet is to use the "external fetching" solution:

Cool!

Greetings,
Jochen
        (Part 3 you find in my messages before fall 2003.)

@ 2006-04-25 23:44   ` Bill Wohler
From: Bill Wohler @ 2006-04-25 23:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

Romain Francoise <romain@orebokech.com> writes:

> Bill Wohler <wohler@newt.com> writes:
>
>> I love being able to read RSS feeds in Gnus. I hate having to wait for
>> all of them to load.
>
> Your best bet is to use the "external fetching" solution: just set
> `nnrss-use-local' to t, and use `nnrss-generate-download-script' to
> generate a shell script that fetches all your feeds with wget.  Then run
> that from cron.

Awesome. Thanks, Romain!

>> I've set the priority of my RSS feeds to 4, so I can use `C-u 3 g' to
>> quickly get my Gmane news.
>
> You don't need `C-u' there.  In Gnus, numbers always behave as numerical
> arguments.

Right. Habit.

* Re: Loading RSS in background
@ 2006-04-29 12:41     ` Bastien
       [not found]       ` <874q0ck109.fsf-iS72tiDCHhS1g9c2/K602IXGvZO2VSpW@public.gmane.org>
From: Bastien @ 2006-04-29 12:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

Bill Wohler <wohler@newt.com> writes:

>> Your best bet is to use the "external fetching" solution: just set
>> `nnrss-use-local' to t, and use `nnrss-generate-download-script' to
>> generate a shell script that fetches all your feeds with wget.  Then run
>> that from cron.
>
> Awesome. Thanks, Romain!

I use this solution as well - working fine.

But i run the script both from cron and manually. When run by cron,
the script produces .xml and .el files in ~/News/rss/ owned by root.
When run manually, the root files are not processed anymore.

Any way to circumvent that?

Thanks,

--
Bastien

@ 2006-04-29 14:14         ` Jochen Küpper
From: Jochen Küpper @ 2006-04-29 14:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

Bastien <bzg-whniv8GeeGkdnm+yROfE0A@public.gmane.org> writes:

> But i run the script both from cron and manually. When run by cron,
> the script produces .xml and .el files in ~/News/rss/ owned by root.

You should run them as a cronjob of the user. I.e. say crontab -e on
the commandline (as normal user, not root)...

@ 2006-04-29 14:19           ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2006-04-29 14:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jochen Küpper <jochen@fhi-berlin.mpg.de> writes:

>> But i run the script both from cron and manually. When run by cron,
>> the script produces .xml and .el files in ~/News/rss/ owned by root.
>
> You should run them as a cronjob of the user. I.e. say crontab -e on
> the commandline (as normal user, not root)...

Thanks!

--
Bastien