* SSL-enabled protocols
@ 2005-09-22 11:28 Alexander Kotelnikov
From: Alexander Kotelnikov @ 2005-09-22 11:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello.

Can anyone clarify to me, how should one use imaps/nntps? I belive,
openssl/gnutsl-cli usage for opening these connections is absolutely
unacceptable, since these programs maintain a connection even if
certificates check fails. I use stunnel for imaps, but for
not-still-investigated reasons it does not work for nntps. Is there any
other ways?

--
Alexander Kotelnikov
Saint-Petersburg, Russia

* Re: SSL-enabled protocols
@ 2005-09-23  8:54 ` Simon Josefsson
From: Simon Josefsson @ 2005-09-23  8:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

Alexander Kotelnikov <sacha@myxomop.com> writes:

> Hello.
>
> Can anyone clarify to me, how should one use imaps/nntps? I belive,
> openssl/gnutsl-cli usage for opening these connections is absolutely
> unacceptable, since these programs maintain a connection even if
> certificates check fails. I use stunnel for imaps, but for
> not-still-investigated reasons it does not work for nntps. Is there any
> other ways?

I have fixed gnutls-cli so that if you supply a --x509cafile or
--pgptrustdb parameter, and the server certificate validation fails,
the program will terminate.  So you should be able to use tomorrow's
GnuTLS snapshot with Gnus to achieve what you want.  I can't help you
with nntps.

* Re: SSL-enabled protocols
@ 2005-09-23 10:57   ` Alexander Kotelnikov
From: Alexander Kotelnikov @ 2005-09-23 10:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

SJ> Alexander Kotelnikov <sacha@myxomop.com> writes:
>> Hello.
>>
>> Can anyone clarify to me, how should one use imaps/nntps? I belive,
>> openssl/gnutsl-cli usage for opening these connections is absolutely
>> unacceptable, since these programs maintain a connection even if
>> certificates check fails. I use stunnel for imaps, but for
>> not-still-investigated reasons it does not work for nntps. Is there any
>> other ways?
SJ>
SJ> I have fixed gnutls-cli so that if you supply a --x509cafile or
SJ> --pgptrustdb parameter, and the server certificate validation fails,
SJ> the program will terminate.  So you should be able to use tomorrow's
SJ> GnuTLS snapshot with Gnus to achieve what you want.  I can't help you
SJ> with nntps.

Oh, thanks. This should help with nntps either, even an approach used
in stunnel (when user can tell in what conditions to abort a
connection) seems to be more elegant.
--
Alexander Kotelnikov
Saint-Petersburg, Russia