* getting ticked/dormant article without contacting news server
@ 2004-09-15 15:44 Dan Christensen
From: Dan Christensen @ 2004-09-15 15:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

My news server has just disappeared.  I'd like to be able to enter
my news groups and view the ticked and dormant articles, and copy
them to a mail group for future reference.

I don't normally use the agent, but I tried going unplugged, and was
still unable to enter the group.  The messages I got were:

  Retrieving newsgroup: comp.lang.python...
  Opening nntp server on news...
  Denied server
  Opening nntp server on news...failed
  gnus-select-newsgroup: Couldn't open server

My *Server* buffer does show that the server is agentized:

     {nntp:news} (denied) (agent)

I can use gnus-group-make-directory-group to view the cache
directory as a group, but it has no knowledge of which articles
are ticked and which are dormant, and probably also contains
other recent articles that I don't want to save.

Any suggestions?

Dan

* Re: getting ticked/dormant article without contacting news server
@ 2004-09-16  3:57 ` Kevin Greiner
From: Kevin Greiner @ 2004-09-16  3:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dan Christensen <jdc@uwo.ca> writes:

> My news server has just disappeared.  I'd like to be able to enter
> my news groups and view the ticked and dormant articles, and copy
> them to a mail group for future reference.
>
> I don't normally use the agent, but I tried going unplugged, and was
> still unable to enter the group.  The messages I got were:
>
>   Retrieving newsgroup: comp.lang.python...
>   Opening nntp server on news...
>   Denied server
>   Opening nntp server on news...failed
>   gnus-select-newsgroup: Couldn't open server
>
> My *Server* buffer does show that the server is agentized:
>
>      {nntp:news} (denied) (agent)
>
> I can use gnus-group-make-directory-group to view the cache
> directory as a group, but it has no knowledge of which articles
> are ticked and which are dormant, and probably also contains
> other recent articles that I don't want to save.
>
> Any suggestions?

Open the server buffer, switch your server from denied to offline.

Kevin

* Re: getting ticked/dormant article without contacting news server
@ 2004-09-17 19:20   ` Dan Christensen
From: Dan Christensen @ 2004-09-17 19:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

Kevin Greiner <kevin.greiner@vignette.com> writes:

> Dan Christensen <jdc@uwo.ca> writes:
>
>> My news server has just disappeared.  I'd like to be able to enter
>> my news groups and view the ticked and dormant articles, and copy
>> them to a mail group for future reference.
>
> Open the server buffer, switch your server from denied to offline.

Thanks, that worked.

I had tried it before, but I was unplugged when I tried it, and it
does *not* work in that case.  My instinct was that if the server is
offline, you would need to be unplugged in order to use the agent to
access the group, but it seems like the reverse is true.

Dan