* Posting styles and from field
@ 2004-09-02 20:25 Jérôme Marant
       [not found] ` <hhisawb21k.fsf@blah.pl>
From: Jérôme Marant @ 2004-09-02 20:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

(Please CC me on reply)

Hi,

I use gnus-posting-styles in order to use different
addresses w.r.t. various groups.

From: address (name)

I'd rather like it to write the From: field that way:

From: name <address>

What's the way do this?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,

--
Jérôme Marant

* Re: Posting styles and from field
@ 2004-09-03  0:59 ` Steve Youngs
       [not found] ` <hhisawb21k.fsf@blah.pl>
From: Steve Youngs @ 2004-09-03  0:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Jérôme Marant

* jmarant  <jmarant@nerim.net> writes:

  > I use gnus-posting-styles in order to use different
  > addresses w.r.t. various groups.

  > My concern is that Gnus writes From: fields like:

  > From: address (name)

Gnus has never done this for me, although the message that I am
replying to here is pretty strong evidence that it does happen. :-)

  > I'd rather like it to write the From: field that way:

  > From: name <address>

  > What's the way do this?

Well, I don't do anything special...

(setq gnus-posting-styles
      '((".*"
	 (name "Steve Youngs")
	 (address "steve@this.address"))
        ("^nnml:group.to.use.diff.address"
         (address "steve@somewhere.else"))))

In that example, sending mail from any group _except_
`nnml:group.to.use.diff.address' will have a from header:

  From: Steve Youngs <steve@this.address>

Messages from `nnml:group.to.use.diff.address' will have:

  From: Steve Youngs <steve@somewhere.else>

--
|---<Steve Youngs>---------------<GnuPG KeyID: A94B3003>---|
|                   Te audire no possum.                   |

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 256 bytes --]

@ 2004-09-03  7:15   ` Jérôme Marant
From: Jérôme Marant @ 2004-09-03  7:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

> On the 2nd of September 2004 at 22:25, jmarant#nerim.net (Jérôme Marant)
> wrote:
>
>> My concern is that Gnus writes From: fields like:
>>  From: address (name)
>> I'd rather like it to write the From: field that way:
>>  From: name <address>
>> What's the way do this?
>
> `message-from-style' is a variable declared in Lisp.
>   -- loaded from "message"
>
> Value: angles
>
> Documentation:
> *Specifies how "From" headers look.
>
> If nil, they contain just the return address like:
> 	king@grassland.com
> If `parens', they look like:
> 	king@grassland.com (Elvis Parsley)
> If `angles', they look like:
> 	Elvis Parsley <king@grassland.com>
>
> Otherwise, most addresses look like `angles', but they look like
> `parens' if `angles' would need quoting and `parens' would not.

Thanks a lot! I wonder why it is not the default though.

Cheers,

--

@ 2004-09-03  7:17   ` Jérôme Marant
From: Jérôme Marant @ 2004-09-03  7:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

> In that example, sending mail from any group _except_
> `nnml:group.to.use.diff.address' will have a from header:
>
>   From: Steve Youngs <steve@this.address>
>
> Messages from `nnml:group.to.use.diff.address' will have:
>
>   From: Steve Youngs <steve@somewhere.else>

It looks it depends on the message-from-style variable, which
does have uncommon defaults.

Thanks anyway!

Cheers,

--