* Spook MIME Boundaries
@ 2004-08-19 18:09 Greg Stark
From: Greg Stark @ 2004-08-19 18:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

I've been using this for a while, it seems like something others would find
amusing too. It would be neat if this were the default or at least a standard
option, the more widespread it is the more effective it is after all.

(defun spook-make-boundary (&optional count)
  (save-excursion
    (set-buffer (generate-new-buffer " *spook tmp*"))
    (setq buffer-disable-undo t)
    (spook)
    (subst-char-in-region (point-min) (point-max) ?\n ?= t)
    (subst-char-in-region (point-min) (point-max) ?   ?- t)
    (prog1
	(buffer-substring (point-min) (min 70 (point-max)))
      (kill-buffer (current-buffer)))))
(setq mml-boundary-function 'spook-make-boundary)

--
greg

* Re: Spook MIME Boundaries
@ 2004-08-19 20:44 ` Florian Weimer
From: Florian Weimer @ 2004-08-19 20:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

* Greg Stark:

> I've been using this for a while, it seems like something others
> would find amusing too. It would be neat if this were the default or
> at least a standard option, the more widespread it is the more
> effective it is after all.

It's a rather old idea:

<http://www.splode.com/~friedman/software/emacs-lisp/src/spookmime.el>

More effective would be BEGIN PGP MESSAGE line, followed by random
base64 encoded junk.

* Re: Spook MIME Boundaries
@ 2004-08-19 21:35   ` Greg Stark
From: Greg Stark @ 2004-08-19 21:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

> It's a rather old idea:
>
> <http://www.splode.com/~friedman/software/emacs-lisp/src/spookmime.el>

Indeed I think it was that version that inspired me to write the hook for
ding. If I had remembered that I would have given credit. I'll add a comment
to my source so I don't forget again.

> More effective would be BEGIN PGP MESSAGE line, followed by random
> base64 encoded junk.

At this point anybody listening would pretty much have to be able to base64
decode at wirespeed anyways.

--
greg

* Re: Spook MIME Boundaries
@ 2004-08-19 21:44     ` Greg Stark
From: Greg Stark @ 2004-08-19 21:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

Greg Stark <gsstark@MIT.EDU> writes:

> Indeed I think it was that version that inspired me

Well I guess not that version exactly, as it seems to be up to date for mml
now. But some earlier version by the same author that didn't handle Gnus.

I guess my hack is obsolete now as his seems more complete. Though I've never
seen any reader reject any of my attachments in practice.

--
greg

* Re: Spook MIME Boundaries
@ 2004-08-20  0:01     ` Florian Weimer
From: Florian Weimer @ 2004-08-20  0:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

* Greg Stark:

>> More effective would be BEGIN PGP MESSAGE line, followed by random
>> base64 encoded junk.
>
> At this point anybody listening would pretty much have to be able to base64
> decode at wirespeed anyways.

No, you just look for "BEGIN PGP MESSAGE", and then you store the IP
addresses involved (and, if possible, email addresses seen earlier on
the same connection).  Traffic analysis is an extremely effective tool
for many applications, and concentrating on encrypted traffic reduces
the data set very nicely.

Something like

-----BEGIN PGP MESSAGE-----

jA0EAwMC4/o8ylG480Ngye38oMxjWBRvkIexOLnESJ07wjS18zZLJJnHkX8CBFG0
8CV61rhpf9CyIj/vZp3TZZhSRjPRuEhHgQ4fE+zUDY5xW4Kx4CffXzJSFEKMcTf6

in your signature would fool some *real* heuristics.