From: Miles Bader <miles@gnu.org>
Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
Subject: Re: Gnus 5.11 in Emacs CVS
Date: 15 Apr 2004 09:37:43 +0900	[thread overview]

Reiner Steib <4.uce.03.r.s@nurfuerspam.de> writes:
> > Instead of CVS, you could use tla (aka `arch') and my emacs arch branch,
> > which is synchronized with the emacs CVS trunk.
> >
> > tla allows (painlessly) distributed repositories, and generally uses a
> > `pull' model, so write access to a central repository isn't necessary.
> > It is also much better at merging than CVS.
>
> Do I understand you correctly that if I managed to merge Gnus into an
> arch archive of Emacs, you would sync the archive to Emacs CVS trunk?

Well, technically I can do it -- of course I'd have to establish that it's
OK with the maintainers; if it's agreed that you're an authoritative source
for Gnus changes in the emacs tree, then it should be very easy to do this
in the future.

> I've never used tla before.  I installed it now and will read some
> introductory documentation soon (from wiki.gnuarch.org).  It would be
> very helpful for me if you could give me a brief (or even better: not
> so brief ;-)) description of the necessary steps.

Er, it depends on what you want to do.  For simply getting a tree, it's
pretty easy.  Here's some steps to do so from scratch (including some
optional setup that should make things work better):

##### Once-only first-time setup commands:

   tla my-id ...

# For efficiency, it's also recommended to establish a `revision library'
# on the local hard disk; this can speed up operation quit a bit

   mkdir -p /usr/local/arch/revlib
   tla my-revision-library /usr/local/arch/revlib
   tla library-config --greedy --sparse /usr/local/arch/revlib

# To verify signed archives, you probably want to do this:

   mkdir -p ~/.arch-params/signing
   echo 'gpg --verify-files -' > ~/.arch-params/signing/=default.check

   # [make sure you have keys for anyone you're interested in -- my keys
   #  are available at pgp.mit.edu as "miles@gnu.org"]

##### Once for any new archive you use:

# You need to do this once for any new archive you use:

   tla register-archive http://sourcecontrol.net/~miles/miles@gnu.org--gnu-2004

##### Regular commands:

# Checkout emacs into a directory called `/usr/local/src/emacs':

   cd /usr/local/src
   tla get emacs--cvs-trunk--0 emacs

# ... eventually, if you want to update your check-out to the latest version:

   cd /usr/local/src/emacs
   tla update

[For doing development using arch, you need more commands of course.]

For getting a more detailed view of how arch works, the `arch tutorial' is
very good (I think there should be an obvious pointer on the wiki?).

> > If you'd accept a patch against Gnus CVS to add taglines, this would
> > make future merging using tla easier.
>
> I cannot speak for Lars, but I don't think he would refuse.  Lars?
> (If Lars agrees on this, I can commit your patches to Gnus CVS).
>
> > This is slightly trickier than with a new project, because Gnus and
> > Emacs conceptually _share_ files (even though the actual contents may
> > vary), so it would be best to use the _same_ tagline for the same file
> > in both Gnus and Emacs.
>
> Apart from the trunk, we have a branch "v5-10" for the 5.10 series.
> Probably they should be added in both branches?

What might be easiest is for you to merge the Gnus changes from the
emacs tree back into the canonical Gnus sources (including the branch).
As the emacs Gnus files all have had taglines added, this will have the
effect of adding them to the Gnus sources too.

Any file not shared with emacs will also need to have taglines added, but
that's easy to do; I'm mainly concerned that the common files end up with
the same taglines in the Gnus and Emacs trees.

At that point, I'd like to make arch branches for Gnus, synchronized with Gnus
CVS (just one-way of course -- unless you want to give me write access :-),
probably a few, e.g., `gnus--cvs-trunk--0', and `gnus--rel--5.10'.

Thanks,

-Miles
--
 ___