* gnus-level-default-subscribed: documentation or behavior bug?
@ 2003-09-24 21:37 Rob Browning
From: Rob Browning @ 2003-09-24 21:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'd hoped a while back to be able to have gnus-no-server show all my
mail groups without having to manually assign levels.  When I noticed
gnus-level-default subscribed, and read the docs to gnus-no-server, I
thought I had a solution.  With regard to gnus-no-server ther docs
say:

  it will just activate all groups on level 1 and 2.  (You should
  preferably keep no native groups on those two levels.)

So I put (setq gnus-level-default-subscribed 2) in my .emacs, thinking
that would do the trick, and forgot about it, not needing
gnus-no-server right then...

However, recently I've needed to use gnus-no-server, and when I call
it it, none of my mail groups show up.  Looking at the code, this is
because gnus-no-server calls gnus-no-server-1, which doesn't just
activate groups in level 1 or 2 (as the docs indicate), but rather
bases the levels on gnus-level-default-subscribed:

  (defun gnus-no-server-1 (&optional arg slave)
    (let ((val (or arg (1- gnus-level-default-subscribed))))
      (gnus val t slave)

So am I right in presuming that the docs should probably mention the
interaction with gnus-level-default-subscribed, and if so, then is
there any other way to tell gnus to use a particular level as the
default for all the groups from a particular backend (i.e. my nnml
backend)?

(Also wondering if it'll be easy for me to reset
 gnus-level-default-subscribed back to the default, or if I'll have to
 do some dotfile editing...)

Thanks

--
Rob Browning
rlb @defaultvalue.org and @debian.org; previously @cs.utexas.edu

* Re: gnus-level-default-subscribed: documentation or behavior bug?
@ 2003-09-27  2:29 ` Jesper Harder
From: Jesper Harder @ 2003-09-27  2:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

Rob Browning <rlb@defaultvalue.org> writes:

> So am I right in presuming that the docs should probably mention the
> interaction with gnus-level-default-subscribed,

I don't know ... group levels always confuse me.  Hmm, at least the
manual acknowledges that it can be a little tricky:

   If you want to play with the level variables, you should show some
   care.  Set them once, and don't touch them ever again.  Better yet,
   don't touch them at all unless you know exactly what you're doing.

:-)

> and if so, then is there any other way to tell gnus to use a
> particular level as the default for all the groups from a particular
> backend (i.e. my nnml backend)?

Maybe you can get the effect you want by invoking `gnus-no-server'
with a prefix argument.

* Re: gnus-level-default-subscribed: documentation or behavior bug?
@ 2003-09-27 20:17 ` Richard Lewis
From: Richard Lewis @ 2003-09-27 20:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

Rob Browning <rlb=A9c2TQsEEmz2Vlu8Lxc9IQ@public.gmane.org> writes:

> I'd hoped a while back to be able to have gnus-no-server show all my
> mail groups without having to manually assign levels.  When I noticed
> gnus-level-default subscribed, and read the docs to gnus-no-server, I
> thought I had a solution.  With regard to gnus-no-server ther docs
> say:
>
>   it will just activate all groups on level 1 and 2.  (You should
>   preferably keep no native groups on those two levels.)
>
> So I put (setq gnus-level-default-subscribed 2) in my .emacs, thinking
> that would do the trick, and forgot about it, not needing
> gnus-no-server right then...
>
> However, recently I've needed to use gnus-no-server, and when I call
> it it, none of my mail groups show up.  Looking at the code, this is
> because gnus-no-server calls gnus-no-server-1, which doesn't just
> activate groups in level 1 or 2 (as the docs indicate), but rather
> bases the levels on gnus-level-default-subscribed:
>
>   (defun gnus-no-server-1 (&optional arg slave)
>     (let ((val (or arg (1- gnus-level-default-subscribed))))
>       (gnus val t slave)
>
> So am I right in presuming that the docs should probably mention the
> interaction with gnus-level-default-subscribed, and if so, then is
> there any other way to tell gnus to use a particular level as the
> default for all the groups from a particular backend (i.e. my nnml
> backend)?

One partial solution:
(setq gnus-level-default-subscribed 2)
(setq gnus-subscribe-newsgroup-method 'gnus-subscribe-topics)

And then have a "New" topic with things like

((subscribe . "^nntp")
 (subscribe-level . 3))

to put new nntp groups on level 3.

Alternatively use gnus-unplugged instead of gnus-no-server

* Re: gnus-level-default-subscribed: documentation or behavior bug?
@ 2003-09-27 22:32   ` Rob Browning
From: Rob Browning @ 2003-09-27 22:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jesper Harder <harder@myrealbox.com> writes:

> Maybe you can get the effect you want by invoking `gnus-no-server'
> with a prefix argument.

Hmm, I think I tried that, and it didn't help.  Other than the
documentation issue, the problem is that I really want my news and
mail groups to default to different levels, i.e. I'd like my news
groups to default to 3 and my mail groups to default to 2 so that M-x
gnus will activate everything (and subsequently try to contact the
nntp server), and M-x gnus-no-server will only activate the nnml
groups.  Even a gnus-new-group-hook (or similar) would be fine -- I
could just set the group level based on the backend from there.

Thanks