Gnus v5.10.2 GNU Emacs 21.3.2 (i386-pc-linux-gnu, X toolkit, Xaw3d scroll bars) of 2003-04-24 on raven, modified by Debian 200 news.vmware.com InterNetNews NNRP server INN 1.7.2 08-Dec-1997 ready (posting ok). Hi, [Please retain the CC to 200823-forwarded@bugs.debian.org in your response, so that the Debian bug tracking system as a record of your input] This bug was reported by a Debian user In gnus under 'emacs -nw' running in an xterm, to view an image/jpeg MIME attacment, gnus launches 'display XXXX.jpeg' which opens up an imagemagick window containing the image. If I close that imagemagick window directly, there's no problem; but if I let gnus close it (by, e.g., hitting ENTER again on the image/jpeg line in the mail message, or by hitting 'n' to go to the next message, or 'q' to leave the current group) gnus apparently kills the imagemagick ('display') process too aggressively, causing it to leave two shared memory segments allocated. Do this enough times and you eventually run out of swap space. Even after gnus and emacs and X have been successfully stopped, the shared memory segments are still there ('ipcs -m' shows them; 'ipcrm -m ...' successfully removes them). Maybe this is a bug in imagemagick, but I suspect gnus is sending it SIGKILL instead of SIGTERM, or something to that effect. I have not looked at the source code. Let me know if you need more info, or if I can help in any way. Thanks.