From: Bob Newell <bobnewell@bobnewell.net>
To: ding@gnus.org
Subject: Re: gmail+imap+smtp (oauth2)
Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2022 08:26:18 -1000	[thread overview]

Jarmo Hurri <jarmo.hurri@iki.fi> writes:

> Greetings Bob.
>

> I am using this opportunity to ask a very basic question that might save
> me a lot of time: does this mean that you need to 2FA every time you
> initiate an imap connection?

No. Not exactly. For every mail service I've set up for 2FA
and app passwords thus far:

1. You MUST enable 2FA to be able to generate an app password.

2. When using IMAP/SMTP, the userid and app password alone is
sufficient.

3. When logging in to whatever webmail is provided, you must
do 2FA, but then there is generally an option to "remember
this device" or some such, allowing you to just use your
password after that. Some systems still make you do 2FA every so
often, for instance on the University of Hawai`i account that
I use, I think it's once a week or so.

> I was told that
> 1. MS will phase out imap pw connections starting Oct '22

And they have on two of my three accounts, but for each of
these the 2FA/app password method works.

> 2. this will happen at different times for different customers; for us
>    it happened last week without warning

Same here. One day SMTP just stopped working until I went
around the loop of 2FA and an app password.

I have to ask myself how 2FA provides much security when app
passwords exist, and the option to bypass 2FA exists.

--
Bob Newell
Honolulu, Hawai`i

- Via GNU/Linux/Emacs/Gnus/BBDB