* could a large (2.4Mb) .newsrc.eld file slow things down
@ 2022-01-28 15:30 Uwe Brauer
From: Uwe Brauer @ 2022-01-28 15:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Hi

More importantly, can or should I clean a large .newsrc.eld file?

If so, how shall I do the cleanup?

Regards

Uwe Brauer

* Re: could a large (2.4Mb) .newsrc.eld file slow things down
@ 2022-01-28 15:58 ` Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2022-01-28 15:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Uwe Brauer; +Cc: ding

Uwe Brauer <oub@mat.ucm.es> writes:

Hi Uwe,

well, it slows down the startup of Gnus but contains a gazillion of data
you wouldn't want to miss like your topics, what articles you've read &
marked, scores, ad-hoc written group parameters, etc.

> More importantly, can or should I clean a large .newsrc.eld file?

No, not unless you are absolutely sure what you are doing and your first
name is either Lars or Eric. ;-)

Bye,
Tassilo

* Re: could a large (2.4Mb) .newsrc.eld file slow things down
@ 2022-01-28 17:08   ` Uwe Brauer
From: Uwe Brauer @ 2022-01-28 17:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tassilo Horn; +Cc: Uwe Brauer, ding

>>> "TH" == Tassilo Horn <tsdh@gnu.org> writes:

> Uwe Brauer <oub@mat.ucm.es> writes:
> Hi Uwe,

> well, it slows down the startup of Gnus but contains a gazillion of data
> you wouldn't want to miss like your topics, what articles you've read &
> marked, scores, ad-hoc written group parameters, etc.

>> More importantly, can or should I clean a large .newsrc.eld file?

> No, not unless you are absolutely sure what you are doing and your first
> name is either Lars or Eric. ;-)

I see, those names have 4 letters, mine has only 3, so on that base, I
rather don't do anything 😇

[-- Attachment #2: smime.p7s --]

* Re: could a large (2.4Mb) .newsrc.eld file slow things down
@ 2022-01-28 17:19     ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2022-01-28 17:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

>> Uwe Brauer <oub@mat.ucm.es> writes:
>> Hi Uwe,
>
>> well, it slows down the startup of Gnus but contains a gazillion of data
>> you wouldn't want to miss like your topics, what articles you've read &
>> marked, scores, ad-hoc written group parameters, etc.
>
>>> More importantly, can or should I clean a large .newsrc.eld file?
>
>> No, not unless you are absolutely sure what you are doing and your first
>> name is either Lars or Eric. ;-)
>
> I see, those names have 4 letters, mine has only 3, so on that base, I
> rather don't do anything 😇

Oh I'm just as afraid of .newsrc.eld as anyone else :) But Tassilo's
right, there's no "extra" data in there that you could garbage collect.
You'd have to actually unsubscribe from or delete groups you don't want
anymore.

* Re: could a large (2.4Mb) .newsrc.eld file slow things down
@ 2022-01-28 18:20 ` Andreas Schwab
From: Andreas Schwab @ 2022-01-28 18:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

You could try to compact the article number lists, especially the seen
list can have a lot of holes.  You can do that with G E
(gnus-group-edit-group) from the *Group* buffer.

--
Andreas Schwab, schwab@linux-m68k.org
GPG Key fingerprint = 7578 EB47 D4E5 4D69 2510  2552 DF73 E780 A9DA AEC1

* Re: could a large (2.4Mb) .newsrc.eld file slow things down
@ 2022-01-28 21:03   ` Uwe Brauer
From: Uwe Brauer @ 2022-01-28 21:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

>>> "AS" == Andreas Schwab <schwab@linux-m68k.org> writes:

> You could try to compact the article number lists, especially the seen
> list can have a lot of holes.  You can do that with G E
> (gnus-group-edit-group) from the *Group* buffer.

I just tried that command out: what do you mean by compact? Delete lines that look not worth to be kept?

[-- Attachment #2: smime.p7s --]

* Re: could a large (2.4Mb) .newsrc.eld file slow things down
@ 2022-01-28 21:35     ` Andreas Schwab
From: Andreas Schwab @ 2022-01-28 21:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Jan 28 2022, Uwe Brauer wrote:

> I just tried that command out: what do you mean by compact?

Fill the holes and coalesce so that the list is short.

--

@ 2022-01-31 13:22   ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2022-01-31 13:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Friday, 28 Jan 2022 at 16:58, Tassilo Horn wrote:
> No, not unless you are absolutely sure what you are doing and your first
> name is either Lars or Eric. ;-)

And not even then. ;-)

--
Eric S Fraga with org 9.5.2 in Emacs 29.0.50 on Debian 11.2