From: Bob Newell <bobnewell@bobnewell.net>
To: ding@gnus.org
Date: Fri, 03 Dec 2021 07:43:21 -1000	[thread overview]

> However, when I have a mailing list, and press space to expand
> the mailing list, a different mechanism, namely abbrevs, is
> used. So there is no identity selection based on the members
> of the mailing list.
>
> I'm trying to make this work to select identity, and have been
> trying hacks in mailabbrev.el, where the action seems to take
> place in mail-abbrev-expand-wrapper. I think I might be able
> to get it to work, but the real question is, should this be
> built-in to gnus somehow?

Well ... I did get this to work in an embarrassingly hackish
manner, which I'm too ashamed to post but will share with
anyone who has the same obscure issue.

In any case hacking mailabbrev.el, which is not part of Gnus,
might be out of scope for this mailing list. Certainly,
putting Gnus specific code into mailabbrev.el, which is what I
did, is unacceptable for general use.

I'm still seeking a way to do this within Gnus, where it
belongs, but it looks to be non-trivial for someone at my
admittedly non-stellar skill level.

--
Bob Newell
Honolulu, Hawai`i