From: Eric Abrahamsen <eric@ericabrahamsen.net>
To: "Bjørn Mork" <bjorn@mork.no>
Cc: ding@gnus.org
Subject: Re: I suddenly got a "#" in front of all groups
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2021 10:56:52 -0700	[thread overview]

Bjørn Mork <bjorn@mork.no> writes:

>> Look into group marking! It can be useful.
>
> Yes, and confusing at the same time.  I often use it to search in
> multiple groups at once - e.g when looking for some email I'm not quite
> sure where got sorted.  Very useful.
>
> But then I forget to remove the marks, place the cursor on some group I
> want to search, press G G, and scratch my head why that didn't
> work. Very confused until I remember the stale marks from my previous
> search.

This used to be even more confusing than that: previously, marked groups
with no new messages were also hidden by default, meaning that if you
did your search and then refreshed Gnus, you wouldn't even see that the
group was marked, because it was hidden! All subsequent searches would
only apply to the marked group(s), leading to some real sanity-doubting
moments. At least marked groups are always visible now, regardless of
their read-message status.