From: Harry Putnam <reader@newsguy.com>
To: ding@gnus.org
Subject: Re: howto have nnimap setup for smtp out
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 2021 12:05:02 -0500	[thread overview]

dick.r.chiang@gmail.com writes:

> To reader@newsguy.com,
>
> In a previous post, you asserted Windows'ness.  I refrained from chiming in
> then because I only know what works under GNU/Linux.  But your questions this
> iteration really betray a deep-seated confusion.

That was in desperation after so much trouble on my linux hosts.. I
have a windows host but have done nearly all mail on linux or Solaris
for many years.

> Outgoing is orthogonal to nnimap.  I will not mention nnimap henceforth except
> to say nnimap-gmail without dovecot is unusable with any serious email volume.

I see I've stated the nnimap bit in way that seems I don't know that
nnimap is not involved in smtp.

My meaning was certainly unclear, but what I was talking about is
adding smtp code into my exisiting nnimap groups defined in gnus like:

   (add-to-list 'gnus-secondary-select-methods
                    	       '(nnimap "harrygp3"
 		                (nnimap-address "imap.gmail.com")))

I was talking about adding smtp out code to the lines above

Sorry for the confusion and thank you for the gentle nudge when you
could justifiably been a lot pricklier.

> The casual user should not attempt outgoing with sendmail or postfix.  Use a
> thing called "msmtp" to wrangle smtp.gmail.com.

Probably true but I've managed to have one or another mta running
semi-continously since about 1996 when I first started blundering
around with linux.  I would still be pounding along on my trusty
debian (stretch) host with full mta right now, as I have for the last
5 or so years when I moved everything off of gentoo hosts, but I
managed to competely delete beyond hope my entire host (a vm) along
with years of notes and working configs for sendmail, postfix, and
exim4 All of which I used for mta at one time or another

> A reference setup can be found in
>
> https://github.com/dickmao/gnus-imap-walkthrough/blob/master/dot.msmtprc

thanks for the pointer... I did readup a bit on msmtp during my
tribulations with sendmail but failed on it as well.  It all seems to
revolve around a lack of a real resolvable host. And the fact that
internet mail has become a good bit more complex that it was even just
5-7 yrs ago.

Not sure why that lack of being resolvable doesn't even come up using
the smtp send-it code, but I am right glad to quit fussing with it.