* Constantly having to use `^' for server buffer to close then open server
@ 2020-10-01 13:07 Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 2020-10-01 13:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Current emacs version:
GNU Emacs 28.0.50 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, X toolkit, cairo
version 1.14.8, Xaw3d scroll bars) of 2020-09-25

However, I have this same problem whatever the version.

Trying to keep the problem simple here, so just saying that for months
and months, I'm constantly plagued with gmane.io being unresponsive.

It goes like this: Start gnus, enter a newsgroup, maybe read a while
and then post a message.  By the time I've read 5-6 minutes, my
attempt to post a message just gets the busy cursor forever.

That is, the server never accepts my message, it seems to have gone
dead.

I've been doing this to get the server responsive again.

Go to server buffer (`^') find the server. It appears normal and
running.  But I have to click `C' to close it, then `O' to open it.
The opening part usually takes 10-15 seconds. Then I can go back to
newsgroup and send my message (if I hurry).  If I decide another
messages is in order then the same process has to be done again.

Almost like being unplugged.

I'm not seeing other evidence that my internet connection is bad or
slow.  Other things seem to work as expected.

Any ideas how I can do this in some better way.  As it is its quite time
consuming ... not to mention aggravating to use gnus.  And I've used
gnus for a very long time.

Seems there might be a bit of code I could call instead of going thru
the steps in server buffer.

Or maybe something more direct to server to keep it alive.

Hopefully the cause is some user idiocy or other that can be fixed.