From: Eric Abrahamsen <eric@ericabrahamsen.net>
To: hobbes@poukram.net (Rémi Letot)
Cc: ding@gnus.org
Subject: Re: gnus registry takes 21 seconds to save and I can't prune it
Date: Wed, 18 Mar 2020 10:58:08 -0700	[thread overview]

hobbes@poukram.net (Rémi Letot) writes:

> Hello,
>
> I have noticed quite a few slowdowns in my emacs for some times, but it
> never became annoying enough for me to investigate.
>
> Until now :-)
>
> Starting emacs, gnus, or quitting them has become annoyingly long. It is
> not really problematic because I leave emacs/gnus on for weeks at a
> time, but still. Besides, pressing s in the group buffer is far too long
> to be comfortable.
>
> So, I diagnosed it to gnus-registry-save taking 21 seconds.
>
> I tried to see what happens in there, and noticed that I could set
> gnus-registry-max-entries to a sensible number, but then I get an error
> whenever I try to prune the registry (meaning as soon as I try to do
> anything in gnus).
>
> The error is "cl-some: Wrong type argument: listp, quote".

Slow saving is a separate issue, and one that annoys a lot of people,
but this error sounds a lot like something that was going on a year or
more ago. If it's the same thing, there ought to be a solution:

1. Shut down Gnus
2. Back up your registry file
3. Start Gnus again
4. Eval the code below
5. Run M-x gnus-registry-fixit
6. Save Gnus

With any luck that will resolve the error.

(defun gnus-registry-strip-quotes (lst)
  (let (acc)
    (when (consp lst)
      (while (eq (car lst) 'quote)
	(setq lst (cadr lst)))
      (while (consp lst)
	(if (eq (car lst) 'quote)
	    (setq lst (cadr lst))
	  (push (gnus-registry-strip-quotes (car lst)) acc)
	  (setq lst (cdr lst)))))
    (nconc (nreverse (delete-dups acc))
	   lst)))

(defun gnus-registry-fixit ()
  "Fix Gnus registry after eieio-persistent patches.
For use with Emacs master branch, after installing 0afb43eeb, or
the 26 branch, after daa9e853bd."
  (interactive)
  (unless (gnus-alive-p)
    (gnus))
  (when gnus-registry-enabled
    (with-slots (tracker data) gnus-registry-db
      (maphash
       (lambda (track-sym hsh)
	 (maphash
	  (lambda (k v)
	    (setf (gethash k hsh)
		  (gnus-registry-strip-quotes v)))
	  hsh))
       tracker)
      (maphash
       (lambda (k v)
	 (setf (gethash k data) (gnus-registry-strip-quotes v)))
       data))))