From: Eric Abrahamsen <eric@ericabrahamsen.net>
To: ding@gnus.org
Cc: "Eric S. Fraga" <e.fraga@ucl.ac.uk>
Subject: Re: searching speedup?
Date: Tue, 08 May 2018 14:16:04 -0700	[thread overview]

> Hello all,
>
> I often use G G to search a group.  With most imap servers,
> e.g. Google's gmail, this works really well.  However, with Microsoft's
> outlook.office365.com exchange server accessed as an imap server, it
> takes a very long time (minutes) to satisfy the search
> request.  Annoyingly, if I use the web interface for this server,
> searches are fast.  It's only through imap that they are slow, it would
> seem.

My guess is that outlook is building an index for the web interface that
isn't available for the IMAP server. Unfortunately you can't do anything
about that -- when issuing an IMAP SEARCH command, only the server knows
if a search index is available or not. It's possible that there is an
index but it's gotten corrupted, but then you'd expect the web interface
to be slow too. It's more likely that they've done one for the web, but
neglected IMAP.

If you have a copy of outlook the MUA on your machine, this link might
(?) be useful:

https://www.stellarinfo.com/blog/fix-outlook-2016-search-problems/