* Re: Unable to sent agent queue
       [not found] <eb5e092a7dd049838ea76a9945206c7f@HE1PR01MB1898.eurprd01.prod.exchangelabs.com>
@ 2016-04-22  8:27 ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2016-04-22  8:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Abrahamsen; +Cc: ding

On Friday, 22 Apr 2016 at 06:04, Eric Abrahamsen wrote:
> I'm using Emacs (and thus Gnus) from git master. Can anyone confirm that
> they have a similar setup, and using the queue still works?

I use unplugged/queue all the time and it works fine for me.  However, I
am stuck on the last version of git from before it was merged in with
gnus [1].  It could be that some recent changes in gnus have affected you?

eric

Footnotes:
[1]  This merge is annoying because I don't want to track emacs that
closely but would like to track gnus.  Sigh.

--
: Eric S Fraga, GnuPG: 0xFFFCF67D
: in Emacs 25.0.92.1 + Gnus v5.13 + evil-git-ff74cfb

* Re: Unable to sent agent queue
@ 2016-04-23  4:45   ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2016-04-23  4:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> On Friday, 22 Apr 2016 at 06:04, Eric Abrahamsen wrote:
>> I'm using Emacs (and thus Gnus) from git master. Can anyone confirm that
>> they have a similar setup, and using the queue still works?
>
> I use unplugged/queue all the time and it works fine for me.  However, I
> am stuck on the last version of git from before it was merged in with
> gnus [1].  It could be that some recent changes in gnus have affected you?

Thanks for the data point! I've been looking through changes in Gnus,
and haven't seen anything that immediately stands out as a potential
culprit -- Lars took out a bunch of compatibility code, that's the main
difference, but I'm still digging. I'm actually kind of inclined to
blame changes in Emacs instead -- I've been seeing other strangeness in
other packages, and my totally baseless conjecture is that increasing
usage of lexical binding is catching more packages off guard.

I'm also fairly sure the edebug weirdness is Emacs' fault, too -- the
"end of file during parsing" error has shown up elsewhere, and I've been
getting other very weird edebug-related errors.

I wouldn't rush to upgrade, if I were you!

* Re: Unable to sent agent queue
@ 2016-04-25 11:06     ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2016-04-25 11:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> Eric S Fraga <e.fraga@ucl.ac.uk> writes:
>
>> On Friday, 22 Apr 2016 at 06:04, Eric Abrahamsen wrote:
>>> I'm using Emacs (and thus Gnus) from git master. Can anyone confirm that
>>> they have a similar setup, and using the queue still works?
>>
>> I use unplugged/queue all the time and it works fine for me.  However, I
>> am stuck on the last version of git from before it was merged in with
>> gnus [1].  It could be that some recent changes in gnus have affected you?

Well, more poking has revealed the following:

Sending the queue calls `gnus-draft-send', which blanks out almost all
the message related hooks, but not message-header-setup-hook.

gnus-draft-send calls gnus-draft-setup --> message-mail -->
message-setup --> message-setup-1, which runs the
message-header-setup-hook.

gnus-draft-setup contains a call to the macro gnus-setup-message. In
that macro, the message-header-setup-hook is set to:

(lambda () (gnus-inews-insert-gcc ,group))

During macro execution, "group" is let-bound to the dynamic variable
gnus-newsgroup-name. (Here's where I think the bug is.)

When the hook is run, gnus-inews-insert-gcc checks to see if
gnus-message-archive-group is a function, and if it is, calls it with
"group" as an argument. "group" is nil by the time the hook is run.

My gnus-message-archive-group is indeed a function, which accepts a
"group" argument, and tests it against regexps. My error was arising
because "group" is nil, and I was assuming it was a string. I've worked
around the error by guarding against a nil value for "group".

I was originally totally guessing that this problem was related to
lexical scoping, but now I'm more sure. I'm embarrassed to admit that I
don't understand the interaction between lexical scoping and macro
execution at all -- I'm hoping that this is my last real Elisp blind
spot.

I've worked around the error, and this may vanish as one of those
mysterious Gnus bugs that no one else runs into. But it might also be
worth raising on the emacs-devel list, just to learn what's actually
happening.

* Unable to sent agent queue
@ 2016-04-22  6:04 Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2016-04-22  6:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Hey there,

I haven't been able to use the unplugged/queue functionality of Gnus for
quite a while now. Every time I re-plug and send the queue, Gnus creates
a message-mode buffer, gets as far as putting point at the beginning of
the To: header, and then gives me "end of file during parsing". If I
turn on debug on error, I get instead "wrong argument type: stringp,
nil". But no traceback.

I have been messing quite a bit with Gnorb and BBDB locally, and so I
assumed I'd botched something in a sending hook, and that was causing
the barfage. But I just stripped down Gnus as much as possible and tried
again, and it's still doing it.

I'm using Emacs (and thus Gnus) from git master. Can anyone confirm that
they have a similar setup, and using the queue still works?

Thanks!
Eric