From: Tassilo Horn <tsdh@gnu.org>
To: ding@gnus.org
Subject: autoloads only generated on every 2nd make
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2014 08:20:16 +0100	[thread overview]

Hi all,

I use the Gnus git version which I updated daily with

  cd gnus/
  git pull && make

Since recently, when I start emacs I get the error

  File error: Cannot open load file, no such file or directory,
  gnus-load

and indeed, there's no gnus/lisp/gnus-load.el.

When I run make a second time, the autoloads are generated just fine.
With another make, gnus-load.el is deleted again but autoloads aren't
regenerated.

The problem is that gnus/lisp/Makefile's default "all total" target
requires the targets clean-some and gnus-load.el.  When I do that on the
command line, I first get

  % make clean-some gnus-load.el
  rm -f *.elc gnus-load.el auto-autoloads.* custom-load.*
  lispdir="/home/horn/share/emacs/site-lisp/gnus" srcdir=. emacs -batch -q -no-site-file -l ./dgnushack.el -f dgnushack-make-cus-load .
  Generating autoloads for assistant.el...
  Saving file /home/horn/Repos/el/gnus/lisp/gnus-load.el...

which is all fine.  But when I do it again, I get

  % make clean-some gnus-load.el
  rm -f *.elc gnus-load.el auto-autoloads.* custom-load.*
  make: 'gnus-load.el' is up to date.

Huh?  How can gnus-load.el by up to date?  You've just deleted it...

I can't see any changes in Gnus' Makefile.ins, so it might also be a
problem with GNU make itself.  That has been updated to 4.1 on 6th
November which could be the beginning of the problem although I feel
that it started more recently than that...

Any ideas welcome!

Bye,
Tassilo