* Lamer walk thru downloads hundreds of old messages
@ 2014-04-06  2:06 Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 2014-04-06  2:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

I'm pretty baffled with something that I used to do constantly using
gnus agent, but some yrs ago I quit doing any actual downloading since
gmane keeps the groups for so long... there just was no need.

Consequently I've forgotten just about everything about how to do it.

I suddenly have need of downloading hundreds of old messages from a
gmane group.... I have 10,000 msgs from that group in the summary
buffer at this moment... and suddenly realized I did not know for sure
what to do to make my selected several hundred get downloaded.

My category predicate is the default 'short'

Not sure if that matters.

Is it just a matter of plopping the % mark and telling the agent to
get at it?

* Re: Lamer walk thru downloads hundreds of old messages
@ 2014-04-06 19:07 ` Steinar Bang
From: Steinar Bang @ 2014-04-06 19:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> I suddenly have need of downloading hundreds of old messages from a
> gmane group.... I have 10,000 msgs from that group in the summary
> buffer at this moment... and suddenly realized I did not know for sure
> what to do to make my selected several hundred get downloaded.

What about searching for the articles, using `G G', and then using `A T'
to extract the threads into the Summary buffer and then ticking them?

Repeat until all of the interesting articles are ticked.

If they are all in one thread it should be quickly done.

* Re: Lamer walk thru downloads hundreds of old messages
@ 2014-04-06 20:03   ` Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 2014-04-06 20:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Steinar Bang <sb@dod.no> writes:

>> I suddenly have need of downloading hundreds of old messages from a
>> gmane group.... I have 10,000 msgs from that group in the summary
>> buffer at this moment... and suddenly realized I did not know for sure
>> what to do to make my selected several hundred get downloaded.
>
> What about searching for the articles, using `G G', and then using `A T'
> to extract the threads into the Summary buffer and then ticking them?
>
> Repeat until all of the interesting articles are ticked.
>
> If they are all in one thread it should be quickly done.

As it happens it isn't so much about subject as author.  But I take
your point and of course can do / a author <RET> to find what I want.

So, I guess there is not a command that will mark threads for download
in some kind of en-masse fashion?

Do you mean there is a way to do A T en-masse, just process mark? Or
are you talking about doing all the A T by hand?

In your scheme would the mesgs then be downloaded or do you mean to just leave
them online?

I did finally manage to remember how to apply the gnus download toggle
en-masse but where I'm losing site of things is getting these messages
downloaded.

I expect to copy or move (once I get them downloaded into agents
hierarchy) several thousands of msgs to an appropriate place where I
can use my own perl scripts to extract information quickly.

So far, after doing more research, I've put gmane under the agent.
I've created a category 'true' and I've added certain groups to the
category.  I suspect that will just down load everything..... And I'd
sooner know how to download only those process marked.

Probably first need to undo that 'true' category... ?

* Re: Lamer walk thru downloads hundreds of old messages
@ 2014-04-07  5:37     ` Steinar Bang
From: Steinar Bang @ 2014-04-07  5:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> So, I guess there is not a command that will mark threads for download
> in some kind of en-masse fashion?

Unfortunately not, AFAIK... it would be nice of there was one.

Another thing I would have liked to have is the ability to return to the
search results after A T and tick in the Summary (perhaps with the
ticked articles removed from the search results...?)

> Do you mean there is a way to do A T en-masse, just process mark? Or
> are you talking about doing all the A T by hand?

The latter, unfortunately.  If you wants 200 articles by one author in
different threads, I can see that it would be quite a chore.

> In your scheme would the mesgs then be downloaded or do you mean to
> just leave them online?

I have a setup where reading the articles downloads them into the
agent.  It's an oooold setting, but seems to still be working.  That is:
working a bit flaky, like the rest of the agent (I have some threads on
this with debug results posted to gmane.emacs.gnus.general).

* Re: Lamer walk thru downloads hundreds of old messages
@ 2014-04-07 17:24       ` Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 2014-04-07 17:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

>> So, I guess there is not a command that will mark threads for download
>> in some kind of en-masse fashion?
>
> Unfortunately not, AFAIK... it would be nice of there was one.
>
> Another thing I would have liked to have is the ability to return to the
> search results after A T and tick in the Summary (perhaps with the
> ticked articles removed from the search results...?)
>
>> Do you mean there is a way to do A T en-masse, just process mark? Or
>> are you talking about doing all the A T by hand?
>
> The latter, unfortunately.  If you wants 200 articles by one author in
> different threads, I can see that it would be quite a chore.
>
>> In your scheme would the mesgs then be downloaded or do you mean to
>> just leave them online?
>
> I have a setup where reading the articles downloads them into the
> agent.  It's an oooold setting, but seems to still be working.  That is:
> working a bit flaky, like the rest of the agent (I have some threads on
> this with debug results posted to gmane.emacs.gnus.general).

I had something set to do that too long ago... I may even have got
info how to do it from you.... you've responded to so many of my
queries here... but since Lars, friends, helpers... came along with
gmane... any need to download kind of died out over time.

Thanks for the helpful input.

Can you tell me how to make the agent download messages with the
download mark on them?  most are already read. Some are not.

I'm talking about several thousand messages from several groups.

I've found how to get them marked fairly easily now, but only if
ignore threads and just go for author.

It seems there would be some sure-fire way to make the agent download
marked messages... more or less regardless of other settings. Is there
such a thing?

* Re: Lamer walk thru downloads hundreds of old messages
@ 2014-04-07 21:12         ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2014-04-07 21:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Monday,  7 Apr 2014 at 18:24, Harry Putnam wrote:

[...]

> It seems there would be some sure-fire way to make the agent download
> marked messages... more or less regardless of other settings. Is there
> such a thing?

Apologies for this but I am quite confused by this whole thread.  Is it
not just a matter of "M-x gnus-agent-fetch-groups RET" (bound to "J s"
in the group buffer), say?  Or have I missed something?  Probably the
latter...

thanks.

--
: Eric S Fraga, GnuPG: 0xFFFCF67D
: in Emacs 24.4.50.2 + Ma Gnus v0.10 + evil evil-git-8394c20

* Re: Lamer walk thru downloads hundreds of old messages
@ 2014-04-08  3:07           ` Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 2014-04-08  3:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> On Monday,  7 Apr 2014 at 18:24, Harry Putnam wrote:
>
> [...]
>
>> It seems there would be some sure-fire way to make the agent download
>> marked messages... more or less regardless of other settings. Is there
>> such a thing?
>
> Apologies for this but I am quite confused by this whole thread.  Is it
> not just a matter of "M-x gnus-agent-fetch-groups RET" (bound to "J s"
> in the group buffer), say?  Or have I missed something?  Probably the
> latter...

I'm confused too, but being dim witted to boot makes it twice as
bad...

Yes, it is just a matter of ....

Thank you