* How to subscribe gnu.org mailing lists with gnus
@ 2012-02-28 22:57 Thorsten
From: Thorsten @ 2012-02-28 22:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Hi list,
probably a not so smart question:
how do I subscribe a gnu.org mailing list with gnus?
I tried

B nntp gnu.org  gcc.gnu.org an news.gnu.org

but none of the three version worked out. I already subscribed on the
web interface, but would like to read and post in gnus.

thanks for any tips
--
cheers,
Thorsten

* Re: How to subscribe gnu.org mailing lists with gnus
@ 2012-02-29 15:12 ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2012-02-29 15:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Tue, 28 Feb 2012 23:57:48 +0100 Thorsten <quintfall@googlemail.com> wrote:

T> probably a not so smart question:
T> how do I subscribe a gnu.org mailing list with gnus?
T> I tried

T> B nntp gnu.org  gcc.gnu.org an news.gnu.org

T> but none of the three version worked out. I already subscribed on the
T> web interface, but would like to read and post in gnus.

I personally use GMane to read all the gnu.org mailing lists.

Ted

* Re: How to subscribe gnu.org mailing lists with gnus
@ 2012-02-29 21:17   ` Thorsten
From: Thorsten @ 2012-02-29 21:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> writes:

> On Tue, 28 Feb 2012 23:57:48 +0100 Thorsten <quintfall@googlemail.com>
> wrote:
>
> T> probably a not so smart question:
> T> how do I subscribe a gnu.org mailing list with gnus?
> T> I tried
>
> T> B nntp gnu.org  gcc.gnu.org an news.gnu.org
>
> T> but none of the three version worked out. I already subscribed on the
> T> web interface, but would like to read and post in gnus.
>
> I personally use GMane to read all the gnu.org mailing lists.

gmane. I'm subscrided to that group, but I wonder how to read and write
such a group in gnus. With imap?

--

@ 2012-02-29 22:25     ` Carson Chittom
From: Carson Chittom @ 2012-02-29 22:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Thorsten <quintfall@googlemail.com> writes:

> Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> writes:
>
>> On Tue, 28 Feb 2012 23:57:48 +0100 Thorsten <quintfall@googlemail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>> T> probably a not so smart question:
>> T> how do I subscribe a gnu.org mailing list with gnus?
>> T> I tried
>>
>> T> B nntp gnu.org  gcc.gnu.org an news.gnu.org
>>
>> T> but none of the three version worked out. I already subscribed on the
>> T> web interface, but would like to read and post in gnus.
>>
>> I personally use GMane to read all the gnu.org mailing lists.

> gmane. I'm subscrided to that group, but I wonder how to read and write
> such a group in gnus. With imap?

If it's not on Gmane, request that it be added with the subscription
form at http://gmane.org/subscribe.php

* Re: How to subscribe gnu.org mailing lists with gnus
@ 2012-03-01  0:12       ` Thorsten
From: Thorsten @ 2012-03-01  0:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Carson Chittom <carson@wistly.net> writes:

> Thorsten <quintfall@googlemail.com> writes:
>
>> Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> writes:

>>> I personally use GMane to read all the gnu.org mailing lists.

>> gmane. I'm subscrided to that group, but I wonder how to read and write
>> such a group in gnus. With imap?
>
> If it's not on Gmane, request that it be added with the subscription
> form at http://gmane.org/subscribe.php

Am I supposed (authorized) to do that? I looked at that form, there a
quite a few questions the owner of that group should answer and not me.

So its not (only) me - it is somehow unclear how to read/write such a
group in gnus? I would probably suggest to add that group to gmane to
the relevant people, but I'm still not sure if its a real problem or
only a newbie problem with an easy solution I'm having?

--

@ 2012-03-01  1:07         ` Christopher Schmidt
From: Christopher Schmidt @ 2012-03-01  1:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Thorsten <quintfall@googlemail.com> writes:

> Am I supposed (authorized) to do that? I looked at that form, there a
> quite a few questions the owner of that group should answer and not me.
>
> So its not (only) me - it is somehow unclear how to read/write such a
> group in gnus? I would probably suggest to add that group to gmane to
> the relevant people, but I'm still not sure if its a real problem or
> only a newbie problem with an easy solution I'm having?

Well, it's a mailing list.  Why not try subscribing [1] to that list?
You could set up a mail splitting rule [2] that moves posts of that list
to a new mail dir.  Use Group Parameters [3] to get some newsgroup-feeling.

        Christopher

[2] (info "(gnus)Fancy Mail Splitting")
[3] (info "(gnus)Group Parameters")

* Re: How to subscribe gnu.org mailing lists with gnus
@ 2012-03-01  7:25         ` Steinar Bang
From: Steinar Bang @ 2012-03-01  7:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> Am I supposed (authorized) to do that? I looked at that form, there a
> quite a few questions the owner of that group should answer and not me.

When I encounter something not on gmane, that I would like to read
through gmane, then I send an email to the list owner(s) and ask if it
is ok for me to request that the list is carried by gmane.

Sometimes (most times, actually), they think this is a good idea, and
say yes.  Sometimes they say no.  If they say no, I don't fill out the
form.

* Re: How to subscribe gnu.org mailing lists with gnus
@ 2012-03-03  2:06 ` Michael Heerdegen
From: Michael Heerdegen @ 2012-03-03  2:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Thorsten <quintfall@googlemail.com> writes:

> Hi list,
> probably a not so smart question:
> how do I subscribe a gnu.org mailing list with gnus?
> I tried
>
> B nntp gnu.org  gcc.gnu.org an news.gnu.org
>
> but none of the three version worked out. I already subscribed on the
> web interface, but would like to read and post in gnus.

Hi,

I'm also quite a newbie...  If I try to do what you describe, Gnus says
the servers are refusing the connection.  So, may guess is that either
the servers you tried aren't existing, or you need to authenticate.

AFAIK you can't subscribe to mailing lists with a newsreader.  You can
only subscribe to groups.  Groups and mailing lists are two different
things.  However, some mailing lists are linked to a certain group via
a gateway, and thus those are synchronized.

So, you may want to find out if the mailing lists you want are mirrored
in a news group.  Then you need to find a news server where you can read
the newsgroup (not all newsservers will have the group you want).

If I'm totally wrong, maybe describe what you want and did in more
detail, and what messages you got etc.

Michael

* Re: How to subscribe gnu.org mailing lists with gnus
@ 2012-03-03 21:23           ` Thorsten
From: Thorsten @ 2012-03-03 21:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Christopher Schmidt <christopher@ch.ristopher.com> writes:

> Thorsten <quintfall@googlemail.com> writes:
>
>> Am I supposed (authorized) to do that? I looked at that form, there a
>> quite a few questions the owner of that group should answer and not me.
>>
>> So its not (only) me - it is somehow unclear how to read/write such a
>> group in gnus? I would probably suggest to add that group to gmane to
>> the relevant people, but I'm still not sure if its a real problem or
>> only a newbie problem with an easy solution I'm having?
>
> Well, it's a mailing list.  Why not try subscribing [1] to that list?
> You could set up a mail splitting rule [2] that moves posts of that list
> to a new mail dir.  Use Group Parameters [3] to get some newsgroup-feeling.
>
>         Christopher

> [2] (info "(gnus)Fancy Mail Splitting")
> [3] (info "(gnus)Group Parameters")

You are right, I just noticed that the existence of gmane shielded me
until now from dealing with mailing lists in gnus. In fact, I didn't
even think much about the difference between mailinglists and
newsgroups, since on gmane everything appeared the same.
Thanks for the links.
--

@ 2012-03-03 21:25           ` Thorsten
From: Thorsten @ 2012-03-03 21:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Steinar Bang <sb@dod.no> writes:

>> Am I supposed (authorized) to do that? I looked at that form, there a
>> quite a few questions the owner of that group should answer and not me.
>
> When I encounter something not on gmane, that I would like to read
> through gmane, then I send an email to the list owner(s) and ask if it
> is ok for me to request that the list is carried by gmane.
>
> Sometimes (most times, actually), they think this is a good idea, and
> say yes.  Sometimes they say no.  If they say no, I don't fill out the
> form.

I'll just wait till I know if I will be part of the active community on
the summer-of-code list, then I will propose to add it to gmane.

--

@ 2012-03-03 21:31   ` Thorsten
From: Thorsten @ 2012-03-03 21:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> Thorsten <quintfall@googlemail.com> writes:

Hi Michael,

>> Hi list,
>> probably a not so smart question:
>> how do I subscribe a gnu.org mailing list with gnus?
>> I tried
>>
>> B nntp gnu.org  gcc.gnu.org an news.gnu.org
>>
>> but none of the three version worked out. I already subscribed on the
>> web interface, but would like to read and post in gnus.
>
> Hi,
>
> I'm also quite a newbie...  If I try to do what you describe, Gnus says
> the servers are refusing the connection.  So, may guess is that either
> the servers you tried aren't existing, or you need to authenticate.

I think nntp was the wrong (a tad naive) approach anyway ...

> AFAIK you can't subscribe to mailing lists with a newsreader.  You can
> only subscribe to groups.  Groups and mailing lists are two different
> things.  However, some mailing lists are linked to a certain group via
> a gateway, and thus those are synchronized.

I was a bit confused about that, having subscribed to so many mailing
lists on gmane.

> So, you may want to find out if the mailing lists you want are mirrored
> in a news group.  Then you need to find a news server where you can read
> the newsgroup (not all newsservers will have the group you want).
>
> If I'm totally wrong, maybe describe what you want and did in more
> detail, and what messages you got etc.

I already figured out that I had ignored the difference of a mailing
list and a newsgroup. If that list turns out to be important for me, I
will request it being added to gmane.

Thanks for your help.

--
cheers,