From: Leonidas Tsampros <ltsampros@upnet.gr>
To: ding@gnus.org
Subject: Re: gnus smtp and gmail app specific permissions
Date: Sat, 21 Jan 2012 22:34:20 +0200	[thread overview]

Richard Riley <rileyrg@gmail.com> writes:

>>> Any of you have a solution that works with smtpmail sending that sets up
>>> an app specific password for gmails smtp server?
>>>
>>> I have a setup using the multismtp selection from here:
>>>
>>> http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/MultipleSMTPAccounts
>>>
>>> with the difference I set up my smtp accounts thus:-
>>>
>>> ,----
>>> `----
>>>
>>> and then eval the user and password in the  set-smtp-ssl function. But
>>> I'm confused because apparently smtpmail-auth-credentials isnt used for
>>> ssl, so why is it set in that function?
>>>
>>> Ideally a simple working sample of setting smtpmails "authentication"
>>> variables in elisp would do.
>>>

>> Or possibly just a simple example of elisp programming to set up
>> smtpmail to use a third party smtp server line by line with auth details
>> from .authinfo?  I'm  confused with the cross over (if any)
>> between smtp credential variables and the use of authinfo.
>
> I'm currently unable to use gnus to send emails since my move to
> appliction specific passwords. Any pointers would be greatly
> appreciated.

Hey, try this:

(setq smtp-accounts
   '((plain    "ltsampros@gmail.com" "smtp.gmail.com" 587 nil nil)))

I really don't know/remember why it works and why it gets the password
from my .authinfo.gpg (smtpmail magic?) but I'm pretty sure this setup
works here.

I searched for any special code around but didn't notice anything wrt
to authsource.

Remove the dashes and spaces from the application specific
password you get from the Gmail interface and make sure your username is
"username@gmail.com" in your .authinfo(.gpg) file. Example:

machine smtp.gmail.com login username@gmail.com port 587 password panagiavoitha

Memory banks are failing me right now but the setup I'm posting works
for me even when using multiple relay addresses through ONE gmail
account.

I hope the above helped a bit.

Regards,
Leonidas Tsampros