From: Harry Putnam <reader@newsguy.com>
To: Tassilo Horn <tassilo@member.fsf.org>
Cc: ding@gnus.org
Subject: Re: Still no workee with gmail and Imap
Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2011 08:03:16 -0500	[thread overview]

[...]

>>>  $ ssh google.com
>>>  $ cd /usr/src/gmail
>>>  $ vi srv/imap.c
>       ^^
>> Are you joking here.... should I be able to ssh to my user on google?
>
> No. :-)
>
>> I'm gullible so be kind.
>
> He was even doubly bad.  See what command he suggested! ;-)

OMG! the v word.

>>> I have only done a test-setup with Gmail, but from that small
>>> experience: Yes, very abnormal.

> I can confirm that.  I only have
>
> (add-to-list 'gnus-secondary-select-methods
> 	     '(nnimap "Gmail"
> 		      (nnimap-address "imap.gmail.com")))
>
> in my ~/.gnus.el and it works just fine.

OK so maybe I've inadvertantly diddled up my gmail settings on gmail.
I'm checking that now.

tried first full removal of all nnimap (server and all)

Restart check Server buffer... no nnimap

OK now eval this:

 (add-to-list 'gnus-secondary-select-methods '(nnimap "hputnam3"
                            (nnimap-address "imap.gmail.com")
                            (nnimap-server-port 993)
                            (nnimap-stream ssl)))

Resubscribe to some of the groups

And its the same baloney as before... I'm not seeing new mail or all
the old mail.

OK not tried this:
   backup and delete .newsrc.eld

start emacs, start gnus
   Of course my carefully built topics tree is gone
   now eval secondary select as above.

Subscribe to some groups
Same old jive as before...

Again no new mail shows up.

OK, checked thoroughly as I know how, the settings on gmail.
I see imap enabled in every single group.

next I will go to a newuser name and start from absolute scratch,
including a new gmail account to match that user.