On Fri, 01 Oct 2010 08:43:46 -0500 Ted Zlatanov wrote: TZ> On Fri, 01 Oct 2010 11:00:13 +1000 Daniel Pittman wrote: DP> Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen writes: >>> In the absence of user-specified ports and protocols, would it make sense >>> just to try the likely ones? DP> You wouldn't be the first person to do it, but watch out for firewalls that DP> eat the SYN packet silently: having Gnus hang for a significant timeout on the DP> first connection attempt would suck. Doing that every time... TZ> The nnimap stream parameter should be a list the user can customize, TZ> attempted in order. The default can be what Lars listed. TZ> Then Gnus can ask the user if they want to customize the nnimap stream TZ> parameter when a connection fails. Attached is a patch that: 1) has FIXMEs all over 2) removes the dependency on nnimap-shell-program in favor of a more structured nnimap-stream 3) makes nnimap-stream an alist of (stream . helper) where the helper is currently only meaningful for the 'shell stream. I plan to use it for GnuTLS as well. 4) provides a default nnimap-stream that tries ssl, then network, then shell I'm sure this can be done better, but wanted to show how I thought streams should work for nnimap. Ted