From: "Bjørn Mork" <bjorn@mork.no>
To: ding@gnus.org
Subject: Re: A few basic nnimap problems
Date: Fri, 01 Oct 2010 13:17:24 +0200	[thread overview]

> openssl s_client is "-starttls imap" (or whatever other protocol you're
> using) -- and THEN IT EATS THE GREETING.

You mean the problem that you end up with just the final

 ". OK CAPABILITY completed"

and not the actual capability list?

Doesn't matter much, does it? Send a cabability command if you cannot
parse IMAP4rev1 out of the OK CAPABILITY.  In fact reading the RFC
3501, sending the CAPABILITY as part of the preauth OK is optional:

<quote rfc3501  7.2.1.  CAPABILITY Response>
      A server MAY send capabilities automatically, by using the
      CAPABILITY response code in the initial PREAUTH or OK responses,
      and by sending an updated CAPABILITY response code in the tagged
      OK response as part of a successful authentication.  It is
      unnecessary for a client to send a separate CAPABILITY command if
      it recognizes these automatic capabilities.
</quote>

although I haven't yet seen an IMAP4rev1 server not sending it
automatically...  But you should handle such servers, and that will also
handle the case where openssl ate your automatic capability.

One question I can't find the RFC answer to right now: Is it possible
for the capabilities to change depending on the logged in user?  Maybe
some users are allowed to use server resource intensive commands like
sorting and threading while others are not?  The quoted text above
certainly indicates that this may happen. If this is possible, then
you should probable issue another capability command right after
authenticating as well.

Bjørn