* hashcash removal from Gnus?  does anyone use it?
@ 2010-03-23 15:08 Ted Zlatanov
                   ` (4 more replies)
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2010-03-23 15:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding; +Cc: emacs-devel

Does anyone actually use hashcash (on the receiver or sender side)?

It seemed like a good idea years ago but hasn't taken off.  Maybe it
shouldn't be so entwined with message.el and Gnus in general.  People
can still set it up individually from gnus/contrib.

Ted

* Re: hashcash removal from Gnus?  does anyone use it?
@ 2010-03-23 15:52 ` Adam Sjøgren
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Adam Sjøgren @ 2010-03-23 15:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding; +Cc: emacs-devel

On Tue, 23 Mar 2010 10:08:20 -0500, Ted wrote:

> Does anyone actually use hashcash (on the receiver or sender side)?

I still send them, but only because I liked the idea not from any
observed actual benefit.

I seem to remember that SpamAssassin looked at HashCash, though.

Any reason to remove it?

  Best regards,

    Adam

--
 "Emperors of the world hiding underground                    Adam Sjøgren
  Waiting for the sky to rain on down with gold"         asjo@koldfront.dk

* Re: hashcash removal from Gnus?  does anyone use it?
@ 2010-03-23 16:19 ` Greg Troxel
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Greg Troxel @ 2010-03-23 16:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ted Zlatanov; +Cc: ding, emacs-devel

Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> writes:

> Does anyone actually use hashcash (on the receiver or sender side)?
>
> It seemed like a good idea years ago but hasn't taken off.  Maybe it
> shouldn't be so entwined with message.el and Gnus in general.  People
> can still set it up individually from gnus/contrib.

I include hashcash on outgoing mail, and have spamassassin give negative
points to incoming mail with hashcash tokens.

Are you asking if hashcash should not be generated by default, or if
support should be removed?  Making it non default seems reasonable, but
removing it seems unwarranted unless its presence is causing a
maintenance hassle.

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 194 bytes --]

* Re: hashcash removal from Gnus?  does anyone use it?
@ 2010-03-23 18:09 ` James Cloos
From: James Cloos @ 2010-03-23 18:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ted Zlatanov; +Cc: ding, emacs-devel

TZ> Does anyone actually use hashcash (on the receiver or sender side)?

I send it -- this message should have one -- but since my current laptop
is so much slower cpu-wise than my outgoing smtp box, I currently generate
the headers there.  I'd expect to switch back to running it on the laptop,
though, once I have a newer one.

I'd vote for keeping support in both gnus and Emacs in general; just make
it an autoload rather than a require.

-JimC
--
James Cloos <cloos@jhcloos.com>         OpenPGP: 1024D/ED7DAEA6

* Re: hashcash removal from Gnus?  does anyone use it?
@ 2010-03-23 18:10   ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2010-03-23 18:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Adam Sjøgren; +Cc: ding, emacs-devel

On Tue, 23 Mar 2010 16:52:10 +0100 asjo@koldfront.dk (Adam Sjøgren) wrote:

AS> On Tue, 23 Mar 2010 10:08:20 -0500, Ted wrote:
>> Does anyone actually use hashcash (on the receiver or sender side)?

AS> I still send them, but only because I liked the idea not from any
AS> observed actual benefit.

AS> I seem to remember that SpamAssassin looked at HashCash, though.

AS> Any reason to remove it?

It's all over message.el, which is used outside of Gnus.

Also it's a lot of code (29 matches with grep) that very few are using.
We tend to accumulate cruft in Gnus and I'd like to get rid of at least
the obviously unused code.

On Tue, 23 Mar 2010 12:19:50 -0400 Greg Troxel <gdt@work.lexort.com> wrote:

GT> I include hashcash on outgoing mail, and have spamassassin give negative
GT> points to incoming mail with hashcash tokens.

GT> Are you asking if hashcash should not be generated by default, or if
GT> support should be removed?  Making it non default seems reasonable, but
GT> removing it seems unwarranted unless its presence is causing a
GT> maintenance hassle.

I think we should put it in contrib and enable it only through special
setup, rather than through message.el direct support.  I asked for a
count exactly so I can find out if that's warranted or if I should leave
it alone because it's more popular than I think.

Ted

* Re: hashcash removal from Gnus?  does anyone use it?
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2010-03-23 21:33 ` Christoph Conrad
From: Christoph Conrad @ 2010-03-23 21:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Hi Ted,

> Does anyone actually use hashcash (on the receiver or sender side)?

I use it on the sender side.

> People can still set it up individually from gnus/contrib.

That would be ok for me.

Regards,
Christoph

* Re: hashcash removal from Gnus?  does anyone use it?
@ 2010-03-28 18:24   ` Dan Christensen
From: Dan Christensen @ 2010-03-28 18:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

I use it for sending, and I believe my spamassassin install uses it on
the receiving side.

Dan

* Re: hashcash removal from Gnus?  does anyone use it?
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2010-04-08 11:10 ` Uwe Brauer
From: Uwe Brauer @ 2010-04-08 11:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel; +Cc: ding

   > Does anyone actually use hashcash (on the receiver or
   > sender side)?  It seemed like a good idea years ago but
   > hasn't taken off.  Maybe it shouldn't be so entwined
   > with message.el and Gnus in general.  People can still
   > set it up individually from gnus/contrib.

I use it a lot and tried even to convince administrators of
mailing list to let mail with hashcash pass their filter.

Uwe Brauer

* Re: hashcash removal from Gnus?  does anyone use it?
@ 2010-04-12 17:55   ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2010-04-12 17:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel; +Cc: ding

On Thu, 08 Apr 2010 13:10:39 +0200 Uwe Brauer <oub@mat.ucm.es> wrote:

>> Does anyone actually use hashcash (on the receiver or
>> sender side)?  It seemed like a good idea years ago but
>> hasn't taken off.  Maybe it shouldn't be so entwined
>> with message.el and Gnus in general.  People can still
>> set it up individually from gnus/contrib.

UB> I use it a lot and tried even to convince administrators of
UB> mailing list to let mail with hashcash pass their filter.

I think hashcash has enough users to justify its autoloads, so I'll
leave it alone.  Thanks to everyone that replied.

Ted