* Buffer has a running process when reporting spam to gmane
@ 2009-09-23  8:06 Rémi Letot
From: Rémi Letot @ 2009-09-23  8:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Hello,

I use gnus and gmane to read many mailing lists, and report spam
whenever I can. I use gnus as packaged in emacs-snapshot on debian,
which tracks emacs development (latest snapshot from 09/09/2009).

Now I have experienced a small problem for some weeks : whenever I mark
messages as spam in gnus, I have error messages when I quit the group:

Buffer has a running process; kill it? (y or n)

The number of messages is equal to the number of marked messages. I
answer "n" (multiple times if needed) and apparently the messages are
correctly reported to gmane as shown in the messages buffer:

Exiting summary buffer and applying spam rules
Registering 1 specific articles as spam using backend spam-use-gmane
Reporting article 198 to spam.gmane.org...
Buffer has a running process; kill it? (y or n)
1 spam messages were registered by backend spam-use-gmane.

I can't remember when that behaviour started, but don't hesitate to ask
for more information if needed.

Thanks for both gnus and gmane, these are amazing :-)
--
Rémi

* Re: Buffer has a running process when reporting spam to gmane
@ 2009-09-25 20:58 ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2009-09-25 20:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Wed, 23 Sep 2009 10:06:40 +0200 hobbes@poukram.net (Rémi Letot) wrote:

RL> I use gnus and gmane to read many mailing lists, and report spam
RL> whenever I can. I use gnus as packaged in emacs-snapshot on debian,
RL> which tracks emacs development (latest snapshot from 09/09/2009).

RL> Now I have experienced a small problem for some weeks : whenever I mark
RL> messages as spam in gnus, I have error messages when I quit the group:

RL> Buffer has a running process; kill it? (y or n)

RL> The number of messages is equal to the number of marked messages. I
RL> answer "n" (multiple times if needed) and apparently the messages are
RL> correctly reported to gmane as shown in the messages buffer:

RL> Exiting summary buffer and applying spam rules
RL> Registering 1 specific articles as spam using backend spam-use-gmane
RL> Reporting article 198 to spam.gmane.org...
RL> Buffer has a running process; kill it? (y or n)
RL> 1 spam messages were registered by backend spam-use-gmane.

RL> I can't remember when that behaviour started, but don't hesitate to ask
RL> for more information if needed.

I think this may be coming from the function
spam-report-url-ping-plain.  Does anyone know why it doesn't use
`url-retrieve' but instead implements its own version?  Looks like
Reiner did some work on it last, but the original code is vintage Lars :)

Ted

* Re: Buffer has a running process when reporting spam to gmane
@ 2009-09-28 15:42   ` Rémi Letot
From: Rémi Letot @ 2009-09-28 15:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> writes:

> On Wed, 23 Sep 2009 10:06:40 +0200 hobbes@poukram.net (Rémi Letot) wrote:
>
> RL> I use gnus and gmane to read many mailing lists, and report spam
> RL> whenever I can. I use gnus as packaged in emacs-snapshot on debian,
> RL> which tracks emacs development (latest snapshot from 09/09/2009).
>
> RL> Now I have experienced a small problem for some weeks : whenever I mark
> RL> messages as spam in gnus, I have error messages when I quit the group:
>
> RL> Buffer has a running process; kill it? (y or n)
>
> RL> The number of messages is equal to the number of marked messages. I
> RL> answer "n" (multiple times if needed) and apparently the messages are
> RL> correctly reported to gmane as shown in the messages buffer:
>
> RL> Exiting summary buffer and applying spam rules
> RL> Registering 1 specific articles as spam using backend spam-use-gmane
> RL> Reporting article 198 to spam.gmane.org...
> RL> Buffer has a running process; kill it? (y or n)
> RL> 1 spam messages were registered by backend spam-use-gmane.
>
> RL> I can't remember when that behaviour started, but don't hesitate to ask
> RL> for more information if needed.
>
> I think this may be coming from the function
> spam-report-url-ping-plain.  Does anyone know why it doesn't use
> `url-retrieve' but instead implements its own version?  Looks like
> Reiner did some work on it last, but the original code is vintage Lars
> :)

I'm pretty sure I didn't have this behavior "before" (don't ask me when
was "before", I couldn't tell when it changed), and it's quite annoying
when reporting spam to gmane. Am I the only one encountering this
problem ?

Thanks,
--

@ 2009-09-28 19:06     ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2009-09-28 19:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rémi Letot; +Cc: ding

On Mon, Sep 28 2009, Rémi Letot wrote:

> Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> writes:
>> I think this may be coming from the function
>> spam-report-url-ping-plain.  Does anyone know why it doesn't use
>> `url-retrieve' but instead implements its own version?

I don't know.

>> Looks like Reiner did some work on it last, but the original code
>> is vintage Lars
>> :)

I modified it not to wait for the HTTP reply after every request.

> I'm pretty sure I didn't have this behavior "before" (don't ask me when
> was "before", I couldn't tell when it changed), and it's quite annoying
> when reporting spam to gmane. Am I the only one encountering this
> problem ?

I don't see it with Emacs 22.  But I don't see much spam to report on
the groups I read.  I tried it now with 2 groups and 4 reported spam
messages: No problem here.

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)

* Re: Buffer has a running process when reporting spam to gmane
@ 2009-09-29 19:01       ` Rémi Letot
From: Rémi Letot @ 2009-09-29 19:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> On Mon, Sep 28 2009, Rémi Letot wrote:
>> I'm pretty sure I didn't have this behavior "before" (don't ask me when
>> was "before", I couldn't tell when it changed), and it's quite annoying
>> when reporting spam to gmane. Am I the only one encountering this
>> problem ?
>
> I don't see it with Emacs 22.  But I don't see much spam to report on
> the groups I read.  I tried it now with 2 groups and 4 reported spam
> messages: No problem here.

I'm using Emacs 23.1 with gnus 5.13 (emacs-snapshot from
http://emacs.orebokech.com for debian sid)

Is there anything I can do to help track this problem (I'm no
developper, so please be precise and patient if you give instructions
:-)

Thanks,
--

@ 2009-09-30  2:22         ` Manoj Srivastava
From: Manoj Srivastava @ 2009-09-30  2:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Tue, Sep 29 2009, Rémi Letot wrote:

> Reiner Steib <reinersteib+gmane@imap.cc> writes:
>
>> On Mon, Sep 28 2009, Rémi Letot wrote:
>>> I'm pretty sure I didn't have this behavior "before" (don't ask me when
>>> was "before", I couldn't tell when it changed), and it's quite annoying
>>> when reporting spam to gmane. Am I the only one encountering this
>>> problem ?
>>
>> I don't see it with Emacs 22.  But I don't see much spam to report on
>> the groups I read.  I tried it now with 2 groups and 4 reported spam
>> messages: No problem here.
>
> I'm using Emacs 23.1 with gnus 5.13 (emacs-snapshot from
> http://emacs.orebokech.com for debian sid)

        I can confirm seeing the same behaviour.

        manoj
--
To program is to be.