From: Tassilo Horn <tassilo@member.fsf.org>
To: ding@gnus.org
Subject: Re: nnimap and sticky cache
Date: Tue, 24 Mar 2009 22:04:49 +0100	[thread overview]

David Abrahams <dave@boostpro.com> writes:

Hi David,

> Old articles that have since been deleted through other clients still
> show up in the summary (bad) but sometimes "turn black" (show up as
> deleted) when I try to read them (also bad).  The latest problem is
> that I've added 'Message-ID to gnus-extra-headers, but `/-x
> Message-ID<RET>xxxxx' turns up nothing, even though I have a message
> containing xxxxx in its Message-ID header.  I've had this sort of
> problem for years!

Do you use the agent for you imap server?  (^ in *Group* to enter the
server buffer, and look out for "agent" in the nnimap lines.)  The agent
doesn't play too well with backends that support article movement /
deletion, especially if you use it in parallel to other clients.

This problem (phantom articles, duplicates and such things) also bit me
with my agentized imap account whenever I've used the web interface.
Since then I don't use the agent for imap, but instead use a local
dovecot imap server that I sync with my imap accounts using offlineIMAP.
This setup has proven to be very nice.  It's very quick since all mail
is local and all changes are propagated back and forth by offlineIMAP.

Bye,
Tassilo