* message-dont-send kill buffer
@ 2008-11-07  3:59 Seb
From: Seb @ 2008-11-07  3:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Hi,

I'd have imagined that a hook or argument to message-dont-send would
allow for killing the buffer in which the message was being composed,
but I can't find anything like that.  I often need to work on an email
throughout the day, so I use C-c C-d a lot, and then return to write
some more by going into the drafts folder and pressing 'e'.  The problem
is that each time I do C-c C-d, the buffer is left behind (i.e. it is
"buried").  Is there some way to get rid of this buffer automatically
after C-c C-d?

Cheers,

--
Seb

* Re: message-dont-send kill buffer
@ 2008-11-07  7:53 ` Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2008-11-07  7:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Seb; +Cc: ding

Seb <spluque@gmail.com> writes:

Hi Seb,

> The problem is that each time I do C-c C-d, the buffer is left behind
> (i.e. it is "buried").  Is there some way to get rid of this buffer
> automatically after C-c C-d?

Well, there's

,----[ C-h v message-kill-buffer-on-exit RET ]
| message-kill-buffer-on-exit is a variable defined in `message.el'.
| Its value is t
|
| Documentation:
| *Non-nil means that the message buffer will be killed after sending a message.
|
| You can customize this variable.
`----

But that works only after a message beeing sent, not for drafted
messages.

In your situation I'd use `C-x C-s' (save-buffer) which will draft the
message, too, but won't bury the buffer.  Then you can kill it with `C-x
k'.

Bye,
Tassilo
--
Chuck Norris puts his pants on one  leg at a time, just like the rest of
us. The only difference is, then he fucking kills people.

* Re: message-dont-send kill buffer
@ 2008-11-08  3:37   ` Seb
From: Seb @ 2008-11-08  3:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Fri, 07 Nov 2008 08:53:52 +0100,
Tassilo Horn <tassilo@member.fsf.org> wrote:

[...]

> But that works only after a message beeing sent, not for drafted
> messages.

> In your situation I'd use `C-x C-s' (save-buffer) which will draft the
> message, too, but won't bury the buffer.  Then you can kill it with
> `C-x k'.

I was looking at message-postpone-actions, which seems more appropriate,
and tried:

(message-add-action
 `(kill-buffer)
 'postpone)

but the buffer remains, so I'm not doing this correctly.  Any help on
doing a message-add-action on 'postpone so that the mail buffer is
killed without removing the draft message?  Thanks.

--

@ 2008-11-16 23:43     ` Seb
From: Seb @ 2008-11-16 23:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Hi,

After some tips from Tassilo, the best solution for me was to do 'C-x
C-s C-x k'.  However, this still asks me "kill buffer *mail*" and
"Remove the backup file?", which I nearly always answer yes and no,
respectively.  How can we set those as default actions? Going through
Message's docs and customization buffer, I found I have the relevant
(AFAICS) things at default values:

`-----

,-----[ C-h v message-kill-actions RET ]

`-----

,-----[ C-h v message-kill-buffer-query RET ]
| message-kill-buffer-query is a variable defined in `message.el'.
| Its value is t
|
| Documentation:
| *Non-nil means that killing a modified message buffer has to be confirmed.
| This is used by `message-kill-buffer'.
|
| You can customize this variable.
|
| This variable was introduced, or its default value was changed, in
| version 23.1 of Emacs.
|
| [back]
`-----

Yet, Message keeps asking these questions.  It doesn't make any
difference if I set the latter to nil, although it shouldn't have
anything to do with this because it refers to a *modified* buffer
because of C-x C-s.  Any further suggestions?  Thanks.

Cheers,

--
Seb