From: Reiner Steib <reinersteib+gmane@imap.cc>
To: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org>
Cc: Miles Bader <miles@gnu.org>, ding@gnus.org
Subject: Gnus development - Emacs 23 feature freeze, Emacs 22.3 pretest
Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2008 13:49:22 +0200	[thread overview]

Hi,

we need to decide how to continue Gnus development because of the
Emacs 23 feature freeze.

[I'll be on vacations during September, so it would be good if we
could come to a conclusion during the next few days.]

***** Gnus 5.10.* / Emacs 22

Emacs 22.3 is in pretest now and probably will be released soon.
IIUC, there will be no Emacs 22.4 release.  For the Gnus 5.10 series
(= v5-10 branch in Gnus = Gnus 5.11 in Emacs 22.*), I'd suggest to
proceed as follows:

- Continue with v5-10 as before (including sync to/from the Emacs
  22.3 branch) until Emacs 22.3 has been released.

- Thereafter, do a final Gnus 5.10.12 release.

- Retire the v5-10 branch.  (In case an urgent security fix demands for
  a Gnus 5.10.14 release, we could revive it.)

***** Gnus 5.12.* (No Gnus) / Emacs 23

The Gnus trunk is synched to Emacs trunk (and back).  Since 3 weeks,
Emacs development is in feature freeze for Emacs 23.1 (announcement on
emacs-devel: <http://article.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.devel/101783>)
I.e. we should not sync any non-bugfixes to Emacs trunk anymore (or at
least they must be approved by the Emacs maintainers, Chong Yidong and
Stefan Monnier).

For the Gnus trunk, we have (at least) two options:

(1) Start the feature freeze for No Gnus (to be release as Gnus 5.12)
    now.  Do the bug fixing on the trunk.  Sync the trunk with Emacs
    trunk (as we do now).

    Release Gnus 5.12.1 at same time as Emacs 23.1.

    New features must be postponed until we start a new development
    cycle.

(2) Create a separate branch for Emacs 23.  Sync this branch with
    Emacs trunk.  Only bug fixes should be committed to this branch.

    Use the trunk for the next version of Gnus.  New features can be
    added on the trunk immediately.

Other options?

Bye, Reiner.
--