nnrss would be better if it did not generate text/plain parts for items that contain HTML. As-is, when you discourage HTML and an item contains HTML you see the unrendered HTML first. K v will show you the HTML version but it's extra keystrokes. I use the this (from Katsumi :) to discourage HTML: (setq gnus-buttonized-mime-types '("multipart/alternative" "multipart/signed") mm-discouraged-alternatives '("text/html" "image/.*")) Boing Boing's RSS items (from http://boingboing.net/index.xml) are always HTML so I always have to hit K v to read them. I don't know the best way to check for HTML in elisp. I've attached a patch which uses a regexp to do the job. The patch works OK for me but I don't think it's ideal. What's a better way to do this? Thanks!