* sorting threads by latest message
@ 2005-08-22 14:09 Alexandre Oliva
From: Alexandre Oliva @ 2005-08-22 14:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

keep lots of old messages that I still have hope of reading or even
responding some day.  When a new message comes in that matches gnus'
concept of being in the same thread, it sometimes remains unnoticed
for weeks before I go through pages and pages of messages that are
either ticked or not marked at all and notice a difference in the
pattern I'm used it.

After I played a bit with gmail, I found it nice that, whenever a new
message was added to a thread (or whatever gmail calls it, I forget),
it would bring the entire group to my attention.

I'd love if gnus would do the same.  Is anything like this already
implemented in current gnus?  If not, is it in anyone else's plans?
Failing that, would others find this useful, i.e., should I plan on
contributing it once I implement it?

* Re: sorting threads by latest message
@ 2005-08-22 19:23 ` Danny Siu
From: Danny Siu @ 2005-08-22 19:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

Which gnus-thread-sort-functions are you using?  I always have threading on
for my emails and have been using:

  gnus-thread-sort-by-most-recent-date is a compiled Lisp function in `gnus-sum'.
  (gnus-thread-sort-by-most-recent-date h1 h2)

  Sort threads such that the thread with the most recently dated article
  comes first.

A long thread with recently arrived message comes out on top of other
threads, similar to how gmail sorts.

--
Danny Dick-Fung Siu             mailto:dsiu@adobe.com
Advanced Technology Labs @ Adobe Systems Incorporated

@ 2005-08-22 23:29 ` Sebastian Luque
From: Sebastian Luque @ 2005-08-22 23:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Alexandre,

This is in the manual:

(gnus)Sorting the Summary Buffer

Cheers,

--
Sebastian P. Luque

* Re: sorting threads by latest message
@ 2005-08-23  3:43   ` Alexandre Oliva
From: Alexandre Oliva @ 2005-08-23  3:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

On Aug 22, 2005, Danny Siu <dsiu@adobe.com> wrote:

>   gnus-thread-sort-by-most-recent-date is a compiled Lisp function in `gnus-sum'.
>   (gnus-thread-sort-by-most-recent-date h1 h2)

Aah, cool, I guess I need a newer version of gnus. Mine (from GNU
Emacs 21.4) doesn't have this function.

Thanks for the pointer.