* problem with pop3 nnml and default dir
@ 2005-07-15 15:49 Uwe Brauer
From: Uwe Brauer @ 2005-07-15 15:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello

Most likely I misunderstand something fundamental.
I want to read mail from a pop3 server and thought of using the
following setting

Until now I read some mail from a pop3 server by the following
setting:
(add-to-list 'gnus-secondary-select-methods
'(nnfolder "/home/oub/Mail/Pop3-GMX"))
 (eval-after-load "mail-source"
   '(add-to-list 'mail-sources '(pop :server "blabl"
                                     :user "bloblo")))

That sort of works but gnus happily ignores the string
"/home/oub/Mail/Pop3-GMX"
it puts the mail in the file
misc in
/home/oub/Mail/mail

(~/Mail) is the default message directory.

How can I set a special directory or file for my pop3 messages? The
documentation is not very helpful.

Besides I now start to use the nnml backend. When I respool mail from
my nndoc folders, they end up in the mail/misc directory, since this
directory is the default for respooling but of course if I would like
the nnml backend for pop3 I would end up in a mess since the
directories for the pop3 and the default nnml group are the same,
which variable would be useful or what do I miss here.

Thanks

Uwe Brauer

* Re: problem with pop3 nnml and default dir
@ 2005-07-15 15:52 ` David Z Maze
From: David Z Maze @ 2005-07-15 15:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

Uwe Brauer <oub@mat.ucm.es> writes:

> Most likely I misunderstand something fundamental.
> I want to read mail from a pop3 server and thought of using the
> following setting
>
> Until now I read some mail from a pop3 server by the following
> setting:
> (add-to-list 'gnus-secondary-select-methods
> '(nnfolder "/home/oub/Mail/Pop3-GMX"))
>  (eval-after-load "mail-source"
>    '(add-to-list 'mail-sources '(pop :server "blabl"
>                                      :user "bloblo")))
>
> That sort of works but gnus happily ignores the string
> "/home/oub/Mail/Pop3-GMX"
> it puts the mail in the file
> misc in
> /home/oub/Mail/mail

From info://gnus/Mail+Folders, it looks like the select-method you
want is

(nnfolder "Pop3-GMX" (nnfolder-directory "/home/oub/Mail/POP3-GMX"))

You shouldn't think of this as "reading mail from a POP3 server" as
though the mail lives on the server; Gnus is reading and deleting all
of the messages off the POP server (as described in mail-sources) and
storing them in your nnfolder group(s) according to
gnus-split-methods.

> How can I set a special directory or file for my pop3 messages? The
> documentation is not very helpful.

(That is, this is an nnfolder question, not a POP question.)

> Besides I now start to use the nnml backend. When I respool mail from
> my nndoc folders, they end up in the mail/misc directory, since this
> directory is the default for respooling but of course if I would like
> the nnml backend for pop3 I would end up in a mess since the
> directories for the pop3 and the default nnml group are the same,

What distinction are you trying to draw?  Gnus is perfectly happy
storing mail in one place from multiple different sources.  In fact,
trying to segregate mail you pick up from multiple mail providers is a
little tricky.

So right now you have an nnfolder secondary select method.  When Gnus
starts, it asks nnfolder to pick up its mail, which it does by
consulting mail-sources.  Switching nnfolder to nnml doesn't change
this process, just where the mail is stored once it gets pulled off
the POP server.

HTH,

  --dzm

* Re: problem with pop3 nnml and default dir
@ 2005-07-15 18:09   ` Uwe Brauer
From: Uwe Brauer @ 2005-07-15 18:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

    David> Uwe Brauer <oub@mat.ucm.es> writes:

[snip]

    David> From info://gnus/Mail+Folders, it looks like the select-method you
did find this node, but thanks anyhow
    David> want is

    David> (nnfolder "Pop3-GMX" (nnfolder-directory "/home/oub/Mail/POP3-GMX"))
ok

    >> Besides I now  start to use   the nnml backend. When I  respool
    >>  mail  from my nndoc  folders,  they end  up   in the mail/misc
    >> directory, since  this directory is  the default for respooling
    >> but of course if I would like the nnml backend for pop3 I would
    >>  end up in  a mess since the directories  for  the pop3 and the
    >> default nnml group are the same,

    David> What distinction are you trying to draw?  Gnus is perfectly
    David>  happy storing  mail in one   place from multiple different
    David> sources.  In fact, trying   to segregate mail you pick   up
    David> from multiple mail providers is a little tricky.

    David> So right now you  have an nnfolder secondary select method.
    David> When  Gnus starts, it  asks nnfolder to   pick up its mail,
    David> which  it    does by consulting  mail-sources.    Switching
    David> nnfolder  to nnml doesn't  change this  process, just where
    David> the mail is stored once it gets pulled off the POP server.
I would like to set

(add-to-list 'gnus-secondary-select-methods '(nnml (nnml-directory
"/home/oub/Mail/POP3-GMX"))
following your logic.

If this works fine. The point is I have a lot of vm folders which I
want now to convert to gnus folders with nnml backend as described in
the gnus documentation:

    -  make a doc group

    -  repool the messages to a nnml group, when I do this it ends up
    in "~/Mail/mail/misc" since "~/Mail" is the default message
    directory. I changed that now to new value "~/Mail/MESSAGES"

Thanks

Uwe