* Drafts group not replacing old messages
@ 2004-11-15 21:55 Andrew A. Raines
From: Andrew A. Raines @ 2004-11-15 21:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

Today's CVS.  If I go to the drafts group where I have a
message I want to keep working on and hit `D e' on it,
edit it, and decide to postpone it again by hitting `C-c
C-d', when I return to the drafts group (or hit M-g), the
old message plus the new version are *both* there.  Is
this intentional?

Also, running `D s' on an nntp message no longer actually
sends it.  A *mail* buffer is popped up, but nothing
appears in my archive group.  Actual mail messages are
sent, but they aren't archived, nor is the original
removed from the drafts group.

--
    aaraines@pobox.com (Andrew A. Raines)

* Re: Drafts group not replacing old messages
@ 2004-11-15 22:07 ` Andrew A. Raines
From: Andrew A. Raines @ 2004-11-15 22:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Andrew A. Raines" <aaraines@pobox.com> writes:

[Different draft of same message.]

OK, that second one was the one I really want sent.  The
first was a draft that I never actually hit send on.

After playing around 5.10.6, I'm noticing the same
behavior.  I guess the draft functionality has never quite
worked right.  I've never noticed a problem before,
though.

--

@ 2004-11-17 19:20   ` Josh
From: Josh @ 2004-11-17 19:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Andrew A. Raines" <aaraines@pobox.com> writes:

> After playing around 5.10.6, I'm noticing the same behavior.  I
> guess the draft functionality has never quite worked right.
> I've never noticed a problem before, though.

Hmm, that's strange.  I've been doing this kind of behavior for a
while now, but not for nntp...  Let's try it now...

I think it works fine for me...

Josh

* Re: Drafts group not replacing old messages
@ 2004-11-17 20:02     ` Andrew A. Raines
From: Andrew A. Raines @ 2004-11-17 20:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

Josh <huber+news@alum.wpi.edu> writes:

> "Andrew A. Raines" <aaraines@pobox.com> writes:
>
>> After playing around 5.10.6, I'm noticing the same
>> behavior.  I guess the draft functionality has never
>> quite worked right.  I've never noticed a problem
>> before, though.
>
> Hmm, that's strange.  I've been doing this kind of
> behavior for a while now, but not for nntp...  Let's try
> it now...
>
> I think it works fine for me...

Here's how I reproduced the problem with 5.10.6 and No
Gnus (assume an empty drafts group):

  * C-u a on alt.test.

  * Type a short message.

  * C-c C-d

  * Go to drafts group, and `D e' on the draft.

  * Make a slight change to the message.

  * Decide to save the edited draft for later still, so do
    another C-c C-d.

  * M-g.

At this point, there are two messages in the drafts group.
If I `D e' on one of them, but actually C-c C-c on that
buffer, when I M-g in the drafts group, there are three.

So it seems like one iteration of compose, draft, re-edit,
send works properly, but if there's another `D e' thrown
in, it breaks.  That's my observation; I could be missing
something obvious.  However, I don't see why someone would
want the old drafts accumulating like that.  It's too easy
to hit `J S' and spam the recipient.

--

@ 2004-11-19 18:32       ` Josh
From: Josh @ 2004-11-19 18:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Andrew A. Raines" <aaraines@pobox.com> writes:

> [snip repro directions]

I just did this a couple times in the gnus.test group...

> So it seems like one iteration of compose, draft, re-edit, send
> works properly, but if there's another `D e' thrown in, it
> breaks.  That's my observation; I could be missing something
> obvious.  However, I don't see why someone would want the old
> drafts accumulating like that.  It's too easy to hit `J S' and
> spam the recipient.

This seems to work for me...

I'm using "No Gnus v0.3", with Emacs 21.3.50.1. (cvs build)

Josh

* ECB breaks Gnus (was: Drafts group not replacing old messages)
@ 2004-11-26 20:36         ` Andrew A. Raines
From: Andrew A. Raines @ 2004-11-26 20:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

Josh <huber+news@alum.wpi.edu> writes:

> "Andrew A. Raines" <aaraines@pobox.com> writes:
>
>> [snip repro directions]

[...]

> This seems to work for me...
>
> I'm using "No Gnus v0.3", with Emacs 21.3.50.1. (cvs build)

I have narrowed this problem down to ECB.  Deactivating it
restores the Gnus I love.

However, I like to leave ECB on all the time; it's easier
that way when switching back and forth between mail and
JDE.

I had been noticing ``Sorry, that file not recognized'' or
something like that in the minibuffer occasionally.  I
decided to toggle debug-on-error and got this when doing a
C-c C-d:

   Debugger entered--Lisp error: (wrong-type-argument stringp nil)
     file-name-directory(nil)
     ecb-select-source-file(nil)
     ecb-update-methods-after-saving()
     run-hooks(after-save-hook)
     basic-save-buffer()
     save-buffer()
     message-dont-send()
     call-interactively(message-dont-send)

Perhaps Gnus needs to use its own after-save-hook
mechanism?  Or is ECB really to blame here?

--

@ 2004-11-15 21:42 Andrew A. Raines