* Funny-looking code in imap.el
@ 2003-07-14  2:05 Gaute B Strokkenes
From: Gaute B Strokkenes @ 2003-07-14  2:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

Having recently switched to using imap over ssl as a mail-source (as
opposed to fetchmail), I have been a bit annoyed at the amount of time
it can take to say `g' now that I have two extra imap-over-ssl
mail-sources.

Looking at imap-ssl-open in imap.el:

	    (while (and (memq (process-status process) '(open run))
			(set-buffer buffer) ;; XXX "blue moon" nntp.el bug
			(goto-char (point-max))
			(forward-line -1)
			(not (imap-parse-greeting)))
	      (accept-process-output process 1)
	      (sit-for 1))

I find the sit-for here rather surprising, though this bit of the
logic is duplicated in the other imap-foo-open functions, so it's
clearly not by mistake.  The elisp manual states that the typical use
of sit-for is to give the user time to read a message; that doesn't
seem useful here.  (The elisp manual also says that sit-for will wait
for the specified amount of time or "until there is input
available"--it's not clear whether this includes output from
subprocesses, but there is already a call to accept-process-output
anyway...)

--
Gaute Strokkenes                        http://www.srcf.ucam.org/~gs234/
What a COINCIDENCE!  I'm an authorized ``SNOOTS OF THE STARS'' dealer!!