* Disabling adaptive scoring for particular groups
@ 2003-01-20 20:30 Frank Haun
From: Frank Haun @ 2003-01-20 20:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

I have in my gnus.el `(setq gnus-use-adaptive-scoring '(line))', but I
want to disable adaptive scoring for e.g. nnml groups. Setting
`gnus-use-adaptive-scoring' in `gnus-parameters' to nil still produces
nnml*.ADAPT files.

The following doesn't work, should it?

;; still getting nnml*.ADAPT files
(setq gnus-parameters
      '(("^nnml"
	 (gnus-use-adaptive-scoring nil))))

I found a solution, but is this the correct way by setting the variable
`gnus-newsgroup-adaptive'?

;; no nnml*.ADAPT files
(setq gnus-parameters
      '(("^nnml"
	 (gnus-newsgroup-adaptive nil))))

Frank

* Re: Disabling adaptive scoring for particular groups
@ 2003-01-21  5:41 ` Matt Armstrong
From: Matt Armstrong @ 2003-01-21  5:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Frank Haun <pille3003@fhaun.de> writes:

> I have in my gnus.el `(setq gnus-use-adaptive-scoring '(line))', but
> I want to disable adaptive scoring for e.g. nnml groups. Setting
> `gnus-use-adaptive-scoring' in `gnus-parameters' to nil still
> produces nnml*.ADAPT files.
>
> The following doesn't work, should it?
>
> ;; still getting nnml*.ADAPT files
> (setq gnus-parameters
>       '(("^nnml"
> 	 (gnus-use-adaptive-scoring nil))))
>
> I found a solution, but is this the correct way by setting the variable
> `gnus-newsgroup-adaptive'?
>
> ;; no nnml*.ADAPT files
> (setq gnus-parameters
>       '(("^nnml"
> 	 (gnus-newsgroup-adaptive nil))))

Last time I checked the adaptive scoring portion of the manual, it
said to turn adaptive scoring on or off in score files.  So in my
nnml:list.all.SCORE I have (adapt t), and I get adaptive scoring only
in nnml:list.* groups.

Depending on how you name your groups, your solution may be better
even if it works by accident.  ;-)

* Re: Disabling adaptive scoring for particular groups
@ 2003-01-21  5:55   ` Matt Armstrong
From: Matt Armstrong @ 2003-01-21  5:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

Matt Armstrong <matt@lickey.com> writes:

> Frank Haun <pille3003@fhaun.de> writes:

[...]

>> I found a solution, but is this the correct way by setting the variable
>> `gnus-newsgroup-adaptive'?
>>
>> ;; no nnml*.ADAPT files
>> (setq gnus-parameters
>>       '(("^nnml"
>> 	 (gnus-newsgroup-adaptive nil))))
>
> Last time I checked the adaptive scoring portion of the manual, it
> said to turn adaptive scoring on or off in score files.  So in my
> nnml:list.all.SCORE I have (adapt t), and I get adaptive scoring
> only in nnml:list.* groups.

[...]

Your post got me thinking, and I realized I didn't have adaptive
scoring in my newsgroups.  So now I have a News/gnu.all.SCORE file
that contains ((adapt t)).  Doing this for the top level of all the
news hierarchies I read doesn't seem too bad since I don't read many.

* Re: Disabling adaptive scoring for particular groups
@ 2003-01-21 13:40   ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2003-01-21 13:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, Jan 21 2003, Matt Armstrong wrote:

> Frank Haun <pille3003@fhaun.de> writes:
[...]
>> The following doesn't work, should it?
>>
>> ;; still getting nnml*.ADAPT files
>> (setq gnus-parameters
>>       '(("^nnml"
>> 	 (gnus-use-adaptive-scoring nil))))
>>
>> I found a solution, but is this the correct way by setting the variable
>> `gnus-newsgroup-adaptive'?
>>
>> ;; no nnml*.ADAPT files
>> (setq gnus-parameters
>>       '(("^nnml"
>> 	 (gnus-newsgroup-adaptive nil))))

I can confirm both of Frank's observations: The unwanted creation of
nnimap:*.ADAPT files and his solution (I'd say "workaround", because
`gnus-newsgroup-adaptive' isn't supposed to be a user option;
Unfortunately I don't grok the relevant code in gnus-score.el).

> Last time I checked the adaptive scoring portion of the manual, it
> said to turn adaptive scoring on or off in score files.

In Gnus, there's not only way to do it.  `gnus-use-adaptive-scoring'
is one way.  It's mentioned in the manual [1] and it's doc-string
suggests that it should be used for this purpose:

,----[ C-h v gnus-use-adaptive-scoring RET ]
| gnus-use-adaptive-scoring's value is t
|
| Documentation:
| *If non-nil, use some adaptive scoring scheme.
| If a list, then the values `word' and `line' are meaningful.  The
| former will perform adaption on individual words in the subject
| header while `line' will perform adaption on several headers.
`----

It's not a nice solution to create nnml:all.SCORE, nnimap:all.SCORE,
nnfolder:all.SCORE, ... for all kind of back ends.

Bye, Reiner.

[1] (Info-goto-node "(gnus)Adaptive Scoring")
--
       ,,,
      (o o)