* opportunistic PGP encryption/signing
@ 2002-09-26 15:27 dme
From: dme @ 2002-09-26 15:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

With the release of a new PGP interface for gnus, I'm again thinking
about more aggressive use of PGP myself.

My idea interface would be one where:
   - all outgoing mail is signed,
   - all outgoing mail is encrypted if I have a key for the receiving
     party/parties,
   - the key used for signing/encryption can be determined by a hook
     function (such as something added to message-send-hook, which I
     currently use for choosing a From: address, signature, etc.).

Coupled with interfaces for acquiring keys, etc. this would be great.

Does it exist ?

* Re: opportunistic PGP encryption/signing
@ 2002-09-26 17:23 ` Jack Twilley
From: Jack Twilley @ 2002-09-26 17:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

* Re: opportunistic PGP encryption/signing
@ 2002-09-27  0:17 ` Daniel Pittman
From: Daniel Pittman @ 2002-09-27  0:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

On Thu, 26 Sep 2002, dme@dme.org wrote:
> With the release of a new PGP interface for gnus, I'm again thinking
> about more aggressive use of PGP myself.
>
> My idea interface would be one where:
>    - all outgoing mail is signed,
>    - all outgoing mail is encrypted if I have a key for the receiving
>      party/parties,
>    - the key used for signing/encryption can be determined by a hook
>      function (such as something added to message-send-hook, which I
>      currently use for choosing a From: address, signature, etc.).
>
> Coupled with interfaces for acquiring keys, etc. this would be great.
>
> Does it exist ?

Try <http://anubis.sourceforge.net/>, which proclaims itself to do what
you want independent of the MUA.

It sounds like it's flexible enough to allow you to hook up things by
adding a custom header, though.

OTOH it's a non Emacs solution which may be less than desirable.

     Daniel

--
The past is a foreign country: they do things differently there.
        -- L P Hartley, _The Go-Between_

* Re: opportunistic PGP encryption/signing
@ 2002-09-27  8:04   ` Andreas Fuchs
From: Andreas Fuchs @ 2002-09-27  8:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 2002-09-26, Jack Twilley <jmt+usenet@twilley.org> wrote:
> dme>  - all outgoing mail is encrypted if I have a key for the
> dme>    receiving party/parties,
>
> Other bbdb entries have tags requiring encryption.  I have not yet
> written a script to associate keys with bbdb entries or to traverse my
> key-ring and set the related encryption tag in the bbdb entries, but
> it's on my list.

I've done such a thing, but it is really buggy (the regex matching names
requires special care - it matches a " " at the end too many). Please
don't use the module unmodified, it could might ruin your .bbdb
(i.e. add a lot of dupes).