* Gnus-5.8.6 + qmail: doesn't masquerade, adds Sender:
@ 2000-05-01 17:43 Chris Shenton
From: Chris Shenton @ 2000-05-01 17:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'm using qmail's host masquerading via control/defaulthost with
"shenton.org" and set message.el's user-mail-address to
"chris@shenton.org" but when I send mail, the recipient sees the
hostname in the Sender: header

    Sender: chris@thanatos.shenton.org
    To: cshenton@uucom.com
    From: Chris Shenton <chris@shenton.org>

The recipient doesn't see this Sender: header if I send from the
command line with qmail-inject directly, using qmail's "sendmail"
compatible wrapper via /usr/ucb/Mail. I'm on FreeBSD-4.0-STABLE if it
makes any difference.

I've looked through the gnus Info files but don't see anything there
which would indicate it's doing this Sender header thing.

Any clues? Thanks!

* Re: Gnus-5.8.6 + qmail: doesn't masquerade, adds Sender:
@ 2000-05-01 22:02 ` Daniel Neri
From: Daniel Neri @ 2000-05-01 22:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'm using something like:

,----
| (setq message-qmail-inject-args '("-f" "chris@shenton.org"))
| (add-to-list 'message-syntax-checks '(sender . disabled))
`----

Best wishes,
/Daniel

--
Daniel Neri
dne@mayonnaise.net

* Re: Gnus-5.8.6 + qmail: doesn't masquerade, adds Sender:
@ 2000-06-14 13:24   ` Chris Shenton
From: Chris Shenton @ 2000-06-14 13:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

I queried how to prevent inserting

    Sender: myname@myhost.mydom.ain

when I set my name user-mail-address to myname@mydom.ain to masquerade
my internal hosts.

Daniel Neri <dne@mayonnaise.net> replied:

> I'm using something like:

> (setq message-qmail-inject-args '("-f" "chris@shenton.org"))
> (add-to-list 'message-syntax-checks '(sender . disabled))

I tried both, separately and together, and the add-to-list bit does
what I'm looking for: it suppresses the gratuitous injection of the
spurious Sender: header. Thanks, Daniel!

A look through the code indicated that message.el did this if the
claimed username was different from what the system thought the
username should be.  Kind of annoying because some folks with (eh hem)
broken MTAs from large corporations reply to the Sender: header
instead of the From: header. Is disabling this sender check the best
way to do this? Is the Sender: injection there for security/paranoia?
Something else?

Thanks.