* Only marking *non-read* articles as expired with auto-expire.
@ 1999-09-12  8:32 Rob Browning
From: Rob Browning @ 1999-09-12  8:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

Is there a simple way to have gnus not mark read articles as expired
when you're using auto-expire and you re-select the article?

Currently, if I read (hit enter on, or use 'n', or whatever) an
article, it gets marked E, which is fine, but then if I hit 'd' to
mark that as read (so it won't get expired), and later move back to
that article and hit enter to look at it, it gets re-marked as
expired, though I'd prefer it had just stayed "read".

I think I'd like read articles to stay read whenever I just re-visit
them, but I'd still want C-k and friends to mark articles as expired.

Thanks

(Using pgnus 0.96.)

* Re: Only marking *non-read* articles as expired with auto-expire.
@ 1999-09-12 10:49 ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 1999-09-12 10:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

Rob Browning <rlb@cs.utexas.edu> writes:

> Is there a simple way to have gnus not mark read articles as expired
> when you're using auto-expire and you re-select the article?

I have been hit by the same thing.  Here's what I did:

;; Use this for auto-expire only.
(remove-hook 'gnus-mark-article-hook
             'gnus-summary-mark-read-and-unread-as-read)
(add-hook 'gnus-mark-article-hook 'gnus-summary-mark-unread-as-read)

Does this work for you?

kai
--
I like BOTH kinds of music.

* Re: Only marking *non-read* articles as expired with auto-expire.
@ 1999-09-12 17:12   ` Rob Browning
From: Rob Browning @ 1999-09-12 17:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

> I have been hit by the same thing.  Here's what I did:
>
> ;; Use this for auto-expire only.
> (remove-hook 'gnus-mark-article-hook
>              'gnus-summary-mark-read-and-unread-as-read)
> (add-hook 'gnus-mark-article-hook 'gnus-summary-mark-unread-as-read)
>
> Does this work for you?

That's perfect.  I thought I'd seen you post about this before, but I
wasn't able to find it.

This is *really* useful if you're using auto-expire.  I wonder if
there's an appropriate place in the docs/FAQ to mention it.

Thanks much.