* collapse > into button but not |
@ 2022-01-22  1:42 Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2022-01-22  1:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

tl;dr
(search-forward "Question:")
                            ^ eval me

First an observation, now and then people use the closing
angel-bracket (the GREATER-THAN SIGN) when they
quote from websites and so one, this is technically/formally
incorrect, it should only quote or indicate what has already
been posted in the thread, so if you quote from a website or
The Scientific Book of Funny Facts, that hasn't been in the
thread so quotation marks, indentation, I actually don't know,
but it shouldn't be used!

One of the reasons are that some people, like YT, have it
configured so the citation collapses into a button, often it
isn't necessary, if one has read it once it isn't even needed
for rehearsal or context - once is plenty enough in this
context which is often a short time in span as well ...

Anyway ... now for the actual question, I have noticed my
configuration is not perfect as I _only_ want the
angel-bracket (or nested pairs, troikas and so on) to be
collapsed, BUT I've seen Emacs recently do the same with text
formated like this:

| Pulling myself up by a rope
| I better my view
| the only thing in sight is
| what I must do

I don't know what the VERTICAL LINEs are supposed to indicate,
but note that faces are `gnus-cite-1' and
`message-cited-text-4' so it's some ... well, what *is* the
difference of quotation and citation?

  A citation is using a particular idea you get from another
  author. You don't need to use the exact words in this case.
  You can just write the summary or the idea of using your own
  language. ... Quotation, on the other hand, is the exact
  words of the other author that you will mention in your
  own writing. [1]

Okay cool!

Question: How can I configure Emacs so that it collapses
GREATER-THAN SIGN blocks but leave VERTICAL LINE blocs?

TIA

(message-goto-body)
                   ^ don't eval, you have to read it again!

[1] https://sjpucsd.com/difference-between-citation-and-quotation/

--
underground experts united
https://dataswamp.org/~incal

only message in thread, other threads:[~2022-01-22  1:43 UTC | newest]