Hi Malcolm, Emanuel, Andreas, and Adam, Thank you for your replies! Malcolm Purvis writes: > I use the following settings, which displays the text part of the > message whenever possible, but leaves a button that will display the > HTML if I want: > > (setq > gnus-buttonized-mime-types '("multipart/alternative" "multipart/signed") > mm-discouraged-alternatives '("text/html" "image/.*") > gnus-mime-display-multipart-related-as-mixed t > ) Emanuel Berg writes: > This is what I have: [1] > > ;;; HTML and NON-ASCII > (setq gnus-inhibit-images t) > (setq mm-discouraged-alternatives '("text/html" "text/richtext")) > (setq mm-text-html-renderer 'w3m) > ;; (setq mm-automatic-display > ;; (cl-remove-if (remove "text/html" mm-automatic-display)) Adam Sjøgren writes: > Instead of mm-inline-override-types I have this: > > (setq mm-automatic-display (remove "text/html" mm-automatic-display)) Unfortunately, I couldn't get these various methods to work, even though I did try fiddling with them in various ways like suggested above. In the end, the only way I found to work around it was to tell Gnus to ignore HTML entirely, which is OK but a bit heavy-handed. Andreas Schwab writes: > I'm using these settings: > > (setq mm-discouraged-alternatives '("text/html" "text/richtext" "text/enriched" > "multipart/related" "multipart/mixed")) > (setq mm-inline-override-types '("application/octet-stream" "text/html")) This may actually be what I want! Using mm-inline-override-types like this seems to suppress the automatic display of HTML, and it also leaves a button for me to interact with. Excellent! This allows me to view the HTML in an external browser by typing "K H" (gnus-article-browse-html-article), which is quite nice. However, when I type RET (gnus-article-press-button), it displays the HTML in-line, instead of rendering it. This leads me to three more questions: * Is mm-inline-override-types supposed to be used like this? It doesn't seem to be mentioned in the manual, so I'm a little concerned it might be private or something. * Is it possible to coax Gnus into displaying the HTML part in-line when I invoke gnus-article-press-button, even though I've set mm-inline-override-types to treat text/html as an attachment? * Why might it be that when I invoke gnus-article-browse-html-article, the article is opened externally using IceCat rather than internally using shm? The value of mm-text-html-renderer is shr, so I expected Gnus to open the HTML part using shr. I was surprised that it used IceCat, but it isn't a big deal, I suppose. Thank you for all your advice! It's been very helpful. -- Chris