On Jul 03 2015, Greg Troxel wrote: > Nikolaus Rath writes: > >> It's really pretty simple. There is no concept of a trash folder in >> IMAP. Deleting a message means marking it with the \Deleted flag. The UA >> is expected to take that into account when showing the mailbox contents >> (e.g. by hiding such messsages or showing them crossed out). A message >> can be physically deleted by "expunging" it (that would correspond to >> emptying the trash). > > OK, but it seems many MUAs have a notion of moving messages to a trash > folder instead of just IMAP deletion. > > Do MUAs that behave the way you say have "trash" mailbox in the UI > that is really the set of messages in other mailboxes (or inbox) > that have the \Deleted flag set? Theoretically they could, in practice I don't know any MUA that does this. They all have a trash mailbox in the imap account, and move messages there instead of deleting them. >> Any trash folder in an IMAP mailbox is a totally ordinary folder, and if >> there are messages in it it means that they have been moved there (i.e., >> not deleted). To empty the trash, you still have to mark the message as >> \Deleted, *and* then expunge it. > > But I empty trash by total-expire in gnus, on the trash mailbox :-) That's the same thing. By default, deleting in Gnus means setting the \Delete flag *and* immediately running expunge. But I've submitted another patch that changes this, so that you can skip the expunge step. Best, -Nikolaus -- GPG encrypted emails preferred. Key id: 0xD113FCAC3C4E599F Fingerprint: ED31 791B 2C5C 1613 AF38 8B8A D113 FCAC 3C4E 599F »Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a Banana.«