From: Alberto Luaces <aluaces@udc.es>
To: ding@gnus.org
Subject: Re: Some imap accounts not updating in 24.4
Date: Mon, 22 Dec 2014 20:48:37 +0100	[thread overview]

Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> writes:

> On Thu, 18 Dec 2014 21:24:12 +0100 Alberto Luaces <aluaces@udc.es> wrote:
>
> AL> Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> writes:
>>> On Tue, 25 Nov 2014 23:55:26 +0100 Alberto Luaces <aluaces@udc.es> wrote:
>>>
> AL> since updating from 24.3 to 24.4, one of my imap accounts stopped being
> AL> updated automatically.  It doesn't show new messages for that server,
> AL> even I press 'g'.  The only way to get those messages is to directly
> AL> press 'Meta-g' on that group.
>>>
>>> I am far from expert on that, but would guess that logs (`nnimap-debug'
>>> for instance) would be very helpful to see what's different at the
>>> protocol level.
>
> AL> I am setting nnimap-debug through (setq nnimap-debug t), but I am not
> AL> able to get any log buffer for imap.
>
> I see my debug logs in " *nnimap imap.gmail.com 993  *nntpd**" for
> instance.  I think this is all I did:
>
> (setq imap-log t ; obsolete, I think
>       nnimap-debug t)
>
> Perhaps you didn't see that buffer because it starts with a space, so
> it's hidden by default?  That's by design in Emacs IIRC.

Ok, that was it, thank you.

Now, in the log for the server not updating, I can see at then end:

Process *nnimap* connection broken by remote peer

...and one thing that caught my eye is that the connection might be
caused by gnus flooding the server before:

* 1 FETCH (UID 384 FLAGS (\Seen))
* 2 FETCH (UID 385 FLAGS (\Seen))
* 3 FETCH (UID 386 FLAGS (\Seen))
* 4 FETCH (UID 387 FLAGS (\Seen))
* 5 FETCH (UID 388 FLAGS (\Seen))

[...]

* 3009 FETCH (UID 5442 FLAGS (\Seen))
* 3010 FETCH (UID 5443 FLAGS (\Seen))
* 3011 FETCH (UID 5444 FLAGS (\Seen))
* 3012 FETCH (UID 5446 FLAGS (\Seen))

Those are 3012 simultaneous requests for the server, aren't they?

--
Alberto