* How to position summary cursor on beginning of subject
@ 2014-09-30 17:39 Ivan Kanis
From: Ivan Kanis @ 2014-09-30 17:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gnus General

Hi,

By default the cursor jumps to the first colon:

(defalias 'gnus-summary-position-point 'gnus-goto-colon)

I have disabled the motion for some years. I thought it jumped to the
beginning of the subject before.

Anyway, how do I do that?

Ivan
--
The greater cats with golden eyes
Stare out between the bars.

* Re: How to position summary cursor on beginning of subject
@ 2014-09-30 17:59 ` Igor Sosa Mayor
From: Igor Sosa Mayor @ 2014-09-30 17:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Ivan Kanis <ivan@kanis.fr> writes:

> Hi,
>
> By default the cursor jumps to the first colon:
>
> (defalias 'gnus-summary-position-point 'gnus-goto-colon)
>
> I have disabled the motion for some years. I thought it jumped to the
> beginning of the subject before.
>
> Anyway, how do I do that?

take a look at

,----[ C-h v gnus-summary-line-format RET ]
| gnus-summary-line-format is a variable defined in `gnus.el'.
| Its value is
| "%*%z%U%R %~(max-right 17)~(pad-right 17)&user-date; %~(max-right 20)~(pad-right 20)f %B%s\n"
| Original value was
| "%U%R%z%I%(%[%4L: %-23,23f%]%) %s\n"
|
| Documentation:
| *The format specification of the lines in the summary buffer.
|
| It works along the same lines as a normal formatting string,
| with some simple extensions.

| |
`----

--
:: Igor Sosa Mayor     :: joseleopoldo1792@gmail.com ::
:: GnuPG: 0x1C1E2890   :: http://www.gnupg.org/      ::

* Re: How to position summary cursor on beginning of subject
@ 2014-09-30 20:02   ` Ivan Kanis
From: Ivan Kanis @ 2014-09-30 20:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Igor Sosa Mayor; +Cc: ding

September, 30 at 19:59 Igor Sosa Mayor wrote:

> Ivan Kanis <ivan@kanis.fr> writes:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> By default the cursor jumps to the first colon:
>>
>> (defalias 'gnus-summary-position-point 'gnus-goto-colon)
>>
>> I have disabled the motion for some years. I thought it jumped to the
>> beginning of the subject before.
>>
>> Anyway, how do I do that?
>
> take a look at
>
> ,----[ C-h v gnus-summary-line-format RET ]

Thanks. I have changed that variable. Moving to a fix spot does what I
want.

(defun ivan-gnus-forward ()
  (move-beginning-of-line 1)
  (forward-char 34))

;; moving cursor to subject in summary
(defalias 'gnus-summary-position-point 'ivan-gnus-forward)

Ivan
--
You need to install an RTFM interface..
    -- BOFH excuse #57

* Re: How to position summary cursor on beginning of subject
@ 2014-10-01 13:41     ` Mark Simpson
From: Mark Simpson @ 2014-10-01 13:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

The documentation for gnus-summary-line-format includes:

     %*          If present, indicates desired cursor position
                 (instead of after first colon).

I have not used it myself - but perhaps this could be used to get what
you want?

Ciao
Mark

* Re: How to position summary cursor on beginning of subject
@ 2014-10-02  6:32       ` Ivan Kanis
From: Ivan Kanis @ 2014-10-02  6:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mark Simpson; +Cc: ding

October, 01 at 9:41 Mark Simpson wrote:

> The documentation for gnus-summary-line-format includes:
>
>      %*          If present, indicates desired cursor position
>                  (instead of after first colon).
>
> I have not used it myself - but perhaps this could be used to get what
> you want?

It works. Thank you.

--
The average Ph.D. thesis is nothing but the transference of bones
from one graveyard to another.