* Splitting nntp?
@ 2014-05-08 11:13 Igor Sosa Mayor
From: Igor Sosa Mayor @ 2014-05-08 11:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Hi,

is there a way to split news fetched by nntp? I see only examples for
splitting with nnmail...

Many thanks in advance!

* Re: Splitting nntp?
@ 2014-05-08 13:54 ` Adam Sjøgren
From: Adam Sjøgren @ 2014-05-08 13:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Igor Sosa Mayor <joseleopoldo1792@gmail.com> writes:

> is there a way to split news fetched by nntp? I see only examples for
> splitting with nnmail...

With nntp the newserver decides what articles are in which groups -
the newsreader has no say in that, so splitting doesn't quite make sense
for nntp.

You can create virtual groups that do searches and stuff, though.

  Best regards,

    Adam

--
 "That's a mystery, but I don't intend to inquire into        Adam Sjøgren
  it further."                                           asjo@koldfront.dk

* Re: Splitting nntp?
@ 2014-05-08 14:02   ` Igor Sosa Mayor
From: Igor Sosa Mayor @ 2014-05-08 14:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> With nntp the newserver decides what articles are in which groups -
> the newsreader has no say in that, so splitting doesn't quite make sense
> for nntp.

thanks for your answer. Yes, I know: theoretically it does not make
sense. But there are some cases where it maybe does.

The concrete situation is the following: I'm subscribed to a RSS through
news.gmane.org (actually gwene). The problem with this RSS is that they
put a lot of things in the same RSS. I would like to split the feeds in
order to have one item with [Jobs], one with [Conf], etc.

* Re: Splitting nntp?
@ 2014-05-08 14:22     ` Adam Sjøgren
From: Adam Sjøgren @ 2014-05-08 14:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding; +Cc: gmane-discuss

Igor Sosa Mayor <joseleopoldo1792@gmail.com> writes:

> The concrete situation is the following: I'm subscribed to a RSS through
> news.gmane.org (actually gwene). The problem with this RSS is that they
> put a lot of things in the same RSS. I would like to split the feeds in
> order to have one item with [Jobs], one with [Conf], etc.

Yeah, so you would either need the RSS feed to be split (at the
provider), and create multiple new groups on Gwene, or you may be able
to create virtual groups that do searches for [Jobs], [Conf] etc. within
the Gwene group, and then only read via the virtual groups.

Another thing I would really like was some way to detect duplicates. I
read several overlapping planets via Gwene, and get the same entries by
the same people multiple times.

But the number one thing I think Gwene should do, is to allow follow-ups
- so you could have a gwene-local discussion of each RSS-post, directly
in the Gwene group. It would of course only be for users of Gwene, but
sometimes selection by access mechanism makes for a good noise suppressant.

  Best regards,

    Adam

Cc'ing gmane.discuss, because I started babbling more about Gwene and
less about Gnus.

--
 "You'll see my chainsaw coming                               Adam Sjøgren
  I'm drawing the line"                                  asjo@koldfront.dk

* Re: Splitting nntp?
@ 2014-05-08 14:39       ` Igor Sosa Mayor
From: Igor Sosa Mayor @ 2014-05-08 14:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> Yeah, so you would either need the RSS feed to be split (at the
> provider), and create multiple new groups on Gwene, or you may be able
> to create virtual groups that do searches for [Jobs], [Conf] etc. within
> the Gwene group, and then only read via the virtual groups.

thanks again for your answer. i will have a look at the virtual groups.
These are my first weeks with gnus.

As for your other remarks, maybe someone can contribute some idea in the
other discussion lists on gmane...

--
:: Igor Sosa Mayor     :: joseleopoldo1792@gmail.com ::
:: GnuPG: 0x1C1E2890   :: http://www.gnupg.org/      ::

* Re: Splitting nntp?
@ 2014-05-11  9:53       ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2014-05-11  9:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding; +Cc: gmane-discuss

> Another thing I would really like was some way to detect duplicates. I
> read several overlapping planets via Gwene, and get the same entries by
> the same people multiple times.

The contents of the RSS feeds aren't usually identical, though, so
detection might be difficult.  But, yes, "retroactive cross-posting"
would be very nice.  (That was the reason I started thinking about
implementing my own NNTP server, but...  that didn't happen.)

> But the number one thing I think Gwene should do, is to allow follow-ups
> - so you could have a gwene-local discussion of each RSS-post, directly
> in the Gwene group. It would of course only be for users of Gwene, but
> sometimes selection by access mechanism makes for a good noise suppressant.

Yeah, that would be nice...

* Re: Splitting nntp?
@ 2014-05-11 16:16         ` Steinar Bang
From: Steinar Bang @ 2014-05-11 16:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding; +Cc: gmane-discuss

> ...  But, yes, "retroactive cross-posting" would be very nice.  (That
> was the reason I started thinking about implementing my own NNTP
> server, but...  that didn't happen.)

So it has been permanently shelved...?

Pity, it seemed like a good idea...