From: Eric Abrahamsen <eric@ericabrahamsen.net>
To: ding@gnus.org
Subject: Re: Errors parsing .newsrc
Date: Sat, 11 Jan 2014 09:47:29 +0700	[thread overview]

Chris Warburton <chriswarbo@googlemail.com> writes:

> Hello, I've recently upgraded Ubuntu and Gnus is now failing to parse
> my .newsrc.

[...]

> It looks like the gnus-newsrc-to-gnus-format function isn't parsing
> spaces in the group names, eg. it reads "Deleted", then checks if
> it's subscribed by comparing the next character " " to ":", which is
> false, then it starts looking for ranges. Since "Messages" isn't a
> valid range, it gives the "Mangled line" error. I tried removing a
> space from a call to "skip-chars-forward", but there's a call "(read
> buf)" which still stops at the space.
>
> I don't mind getting my hands dirty with this, but my knowledge of
> Emacs Lisp isn't great.
>
> As for the "Wrong type argument", I tried removing the "[Gmail]:"
> line but it made no difference.

I had a related problem, but in the *Server* buffer, not newsrc. I
patched `nnimap-get-groups' to make it read the Gmail group names
correctly, but assumed since no one else was having the problem that it
was something I'd screwed up locally.

I don't even have a .newsrc here, just the .newsrc.eld. If you've *also*
got the .newsrc.eld, you could try setting gnus-read-newsrc-file to nil
temporarily, which will have it ignore the plain old .newsrc.

If that works, my understanding is that it's okay to abandon the .newsrc
file altogether by setting gnus-save-newsrc-file to nil.

If you don't have a newsrc.eld file, then I don't know why not, and
maybe someone else can suggest something.

I'm on git gnus, so YMMV...

Yours,
eric